Dog House IAT sensor, PT&E says this, Big Stuff 3 says that

RainmakerJr

I have read the many threads on where to mount this sensor. Was convinced the doghouse or intake was best for a stand alone fuel injection for most accurate info. "Joe" at BS3 said "No.... don't mount a plastic ended probe anywhere in the intake tract cause they fail and motor or turbo eats it. Mount it outside the air cleaner."

"Pete" at PT&E said "We mount them inline all the time and have never had one fail. Mount it in the air inlet tube after the filter but before turbo." Basically like factory did.

But when I asked "What happens when I spray alcohol and now the air temp is 40 degrees cooler?" They both basically said "It doesn't really matter or going to make that big of difference."

Now I'm not sure whom to believe. My doghouse is off for a RJC plate install, already have 9/16 drill bits and 3/8 NPT tap. Both these guys are very knowledgeable, but neither is a turbo Buick owner. That's why i'm here for opinions.

I don't want to have plastic destroy my motor, but want all my sensors to read as accurate info as possible to make fuel calculations. So before I drill a large hole into my new polished doghouse, can I get some conformation this is still the best location for this sensor? Has anyone ever had the engine eat an IAT sensor before?

It does matter when the air temp is cooler because of the meth or even the intercooler.

The ideal place is to tap the dog house and mount the IAT there.

That is the air temp just before combustion and the ECM is sending timing and or fuel info based on that temp.

The air filter mount was a bad location from the go. Even for a stock car. The air temp changes thru the turbo intercooler and piping.

D

Last edited:
I have read the many threads on where to mount this sensor. Was convinced the doghouse or intake was best for a stand alone fuel injection for most accurate info. "Joe" at BS3 said "No.... don't mount a plastic ended probe anywhere in the intake tract cause they fail and motor or turbo eats it. Mount it outside the air cleaner."

"Pete" at PT&E said "We mount them inline all the time and have never had one fail. Mount it in the air inlet tube after the filter but before turbo." Basically like factory did.

But when I asked "What happens when I spray alcohol and now the air temp is 40 degrees cooler?" They both basically said "It doesn't really matter or going to make that big of difference."

Now I'm not sure whom to believe. My doghouse is off for a RJC plate install, already have 9/16 drill bits and 3/8 NPT tap. Both these guys are very knowledgeable, but neither is a turbo Buick owner. That's why i'm here for opinions.

I don't want to have plastic destroy my motor, but want all my sensors to read as accurate info as possible to make fuel calculations. So before I drill a large hole into my new polished doghouse, can I get some conformation this is still the best location for this sensor? Has anyone ever had the engine eat an IAT sensor before?

Don't listen to either of them .. have yet to see a IAT sensor fail .. and it does make a difference where you install it ..
I prefer the location below ..

Attachments

• IATPLENUMdh.jpg
    IATPLENUMdh.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 255
Put it in the dog house. Mine is actually drilled and tapped right into the back wall of the intake below the coil pack.

Not to budge in but if you didn't want to drill and tap your doghouse I have one for sale in the FS section.

Thanks for the input Brothers!! Since my intake is stripped right now anyway, think I'm going to pull it off and replace with a stock ported Champion one that I will tap in the back. Hope the rear connecting fuel line from the Champion fuel rails won't be in the way.

I have read the many threads on where to mount this sensor. Was convinced the doghouse or intake was best for a stand alone fuel injection for most accurate info. "Joe" at BS3 said "No.... don't mount a plastic ended probe anywhere in the intake tract cause they fail and motor or turbo eats it. Mount it outside the air cleaner.".......................

Why not just use a metal IAT instead of a plastic one?

having the temp data after the intercooler and meth will give you an idea on whats about to head into the motor,before the turbo will give you much different data.i prefer the data after the meth and intercooler,doghouse or up pipe has worked for me.

I have the Delco, fast response sensor. All metal, and in the back of the intake.

This thread is a good example companies with products we use in our turbo Buick world that have sales people giving us tech advise which is not always the best or accurate information?

We are very fortunate to have quality people here who actually have real-world experience and are willing to share it.

I learn something every day here, and I have experienced many issues and mistakes which tells me the better or best way next time!

An old saying, "experience is the best teacher"!

This thread is a good example companies with products we use in our turbo Buick world that have sales people giving us tech advise which is not always the best or accurate information?

We are very fortunate to have quality people here who actually have real-world experience and are willing to share it.

I learn something every day here, and I have experienced many issues and mistakes which tells me the better or best way next time!

An old saying, "experience is the best teacher"!
I can't agree more with Nick. I have learned more about my GN in the last year than I have in the other 20+ years I have owned it. Every issue that has come up, someone else has been there. This forum and it's members have helped me solve all my issues. Be it with good advice or showing up to spin wrenches with me. That my Brothers is priceless. Look forward to getting my GN back on the street and going to events to meet more of you guys.