Does this timing chain need replaced?

GNXDad

1_0307001940.jpg

1_0307001940a.jpg

Does the chain need to be tight? It has some play on the driver side. The second pic is me putting pressure on the right side showing the play. The tensioner also has grooves formed in it from the chain. The teeth on the gears are still all there and not worn.

I thought the stock timing chain and gears were still in the car but I guess the po changed it at some point. Did not know this until I opened it up. I had purchased a GM replacement timing chain setup to replace this one but now that I see it, it seems to be of better quality than the GM nylon stock. What should I do? Replace it anyway?

Is that a roller chain? If so the tensioner should never have been put on it. Id replace the chain.

A roller chain looks like a 2 bicycle chains side by side. That looks like a stock replacement w/ a steel gear. Id replace it w/ a roller and loose the tentioner.

Craig

Comp Cam double rollers do not use a tensioner as I understand, some others do require it though. I would check with a competent engine builder depending on what chain you go with.