Does this sound like a shady situation?

Tfreestyle

Today around 4pm im just hanging out at home and I hear a faint knocking at my door, I go to answer it and there is this guy anywhere between like 17 and 21 asking if my grand national is for sale. I tell him I would consider an offer for 13k. He says, ok let me go talk to my brother out in the car, ill be right back. I close the door figure he wasnt even going to come back and then I hear by doorbell ring(which I would have expected the first time) and its the guy and his brother this time. Well we start walking to the car, I tell them a couple things about it including the price again and the guy starts saying he is just looking for something cheap for his brother to drive to work and such. I tell him obviously this isnt the car since there is about 15k in motor work done. He still wanted to see under the hood so I pop it just a bit pretending the side bush was in the way and I couldnt open it more then 18" since I knew nothing was going to come from this then the brother goes so what is this car, a cutlass? and that kinda really tipped the shady meter since both of the guys didnt look like the most honest people in the world, I had told them the price before they came back up to the car and the younger guy OBVIOUSLY knew what the car was since he asked "are you selling your grand national". What do you guys think of the situation?

Right now my grand national is forced to be parked outside and we have a single wide driveway that can fit about 3 cars in front of the gate. I had it as the first car in the driveway since I was working on it throughout the day, im going to probably move the vette and pull it behind the gate just to be safe. My viper alarm isnt here yet so dont want to take any chances. totally irrevelant they were driving a light blue new body camry but I couldnt catch the plate, they were parked across the street and 2 houses down.

ya it just didnt seem kosher, ive had people ask if the car is for sale before but ive never had a bad feeling like these guys

years ago when i was on vacation, i had someone try get my GN (since sold to jademonkeystang) halfway up a flatbed...luckily the local cops knew i work on my own stuff(pays to know them ). The guy said he was bringing it to get fixed...they busted him. Funny cause he picked up my 928 and brought it across the street to get the gn in the driveway.

you got really lucky that time. really funny that they picked up the 928 to get to the GN. How did you like that 928? ive always wanted to get one for a weekender toy

I'd move the car to a storage unit or friend's garage NOW- not tomorrow, NOW. If/when they come back, tell 'em the car was sold (or stolen), and let then go on their merry way.

Just my paranoid self coming out.....

I live in los angeles where most of the houses are from the 1920s, no garages that can fit more then a couple motorcycles right. Right now im being my paranoid self and using my laptop in my living room that overlooks the car until my dad gets back home and helps me move the cars around.

you got really lucky that time. really funny that they picked up the 928 to get to the GN. How did you like that 928? ive always wanted to get one for a weekender toy
best mercedes ever made (yea i know it is porsche) beware of expensive parts and bad electrics though

I live in los angeles where most of the houses are from the 1920s, no garages that can fit more then a couple motorcycles right. Right now im being my paranoid self and using my laptop in my living room that overlooks the car until my dad gets back home and helps me move the cars around.

If you live in LB or close, then yes move your GN as far away as possible. My car was almost stolen 2 times, get far away, if possible and try and find out who they are. Does not sound like a good situation.

They parked where they thought you could not see there car probaly. Trust me man first intuition is mostly always right. Load the shotgun you can't trust anyone these days. As a side not I had some guys from the parts store follow me home a while back and pull in behind me in my driveway. I was ready for anything . But turns out they wanted to see my car in which I wasn't even in at the time, but knew I had one. Be careful and be aware if you see that car snooping around say 3 am in the morning or anyother for that fact you will know somethings up!!

im usually up till 3am anyways, delayed sleeping pattern. ill keep the lights off. man I wish I had my viper 2way already. unluckily no real guns in this house. I do have a 1:1 airsoft gun replica of an ak47, even though its not really that b*tch hurts to all hell on full auto. can leave dime size welts through tshirts and will take someone to their knees(known from past experiences haha). im about to switch the vette and grand national. Luckily(for this situation) in our driveway the neighbor has a huge bush on one side of our driveway and the other we have our porch with brick pillars so if I put the vette close enough to the brick pillars you cant squeeze by at all. thats what I did when I went on vacation last time so they wouldnt be able to get to the car at all.

I actually live in west l.a. where the 10 and 405 freeways meet in a fairly well to do area. I still live at my parents house even though im 22. They have a guest house so its like having my own apartment with no rent.

the knock was just to see if you were home or awake. Had you not answered they would have gone to work on stealing it. The "I'd like to buy it" excuse was their cover.

There are TONS of thieves in southern california. I'd bet good money that you just met two of them. I would never leave a turbo buick outside here period. I don't know why yours hasn't been stolen yet.

its not much of a deterrent but the paint is horrible on my car, the previous owner had it repainted and used the wrong catalyst I think and the clear completely splintered and cracked. I do have the column lock but that doesnt slow them down to much. im more worried about them going under the hood and stealing parts, not sure if my insurance would cover that part. I do have full coverage for I think 15k, once I get the car repainted im getting that bumped up.

I'd move the car to a storage unit or friend's garage NOW- not tomorrow, NOW. If/when they come back, tell 'em the car was sold (or stolen), and let then go on their merry way.

Just my paranoid self coming out.....

i second this motion

i have been insulted by people for not opening my hood at a parking lot or at the cruise spots. the point is, don't open the hood for anyone and when parked in the driveway always remember the POS engine just pushed a broken rod throught the block.:wink:

The knock was just to see if you were home or awake. Had you not answered they would have gone to work on stealing it. The "I'd like to buy it" excuse was their cover.

There are TONS of thieves in southern california. I'd bet good money that you just met two of them. I would never leave a turbo buick outside here period. I don't know why yours hasn't been stolen yet.

YOU HAVE BEEN TARGETED.

It's now not a question of "if"- it's "WHEN" they come back.

They know the car, and its location. You can't be there 24/7 despite your sleep patterns. 2 weeks, or a month, or 3 months from now, you're inside enjoying a movie. The paranoia has subsided, as it's been quiet lately. While you're watching your movie in bliss, say goodbye to your car.

Move it. Don't think about it. Move it.

I definitely agree this is shady. I would have said "not interested" and shut the door. There is no reason to approach someone at their home about a car for sale, with all the technology today.

Blocking it in helps but isn't perfect, if they can steal one car they can move another car that's in the way.

cheap insurance...

Pull the steering wheel and driver's seat out. Make it a beeetch for them to steal it. Since putting it in a garage is out of the question, take 15 minutes, pull the steering wheel off and take the drivers seat out and keep them in the house. Another trick is to put an anchor lug in the driveway with a ring on it and run a big chain from the lower control arm to the ring (basically chain it down like a pit bull). The idea is to keep your car-your car.:cool:

Im more worried about parts being stolen then the whole car. worst case scenario is the car gets stolen and I get paid by insurance and I get a white turbo t t-top like I want. I mean it would ROYALLLY suck if the car gets stolen and I will do everything I can that it doesnt but I would rather it be stolen then parts being taken off since that will be out of pocket expense