Does this sound like a shady situation?

I don't think too many guys would steal parts on the spot, aside from wheels and radios. If they want any major parts off your car they would still steal it first. I like the idea above about pulling the seats and steering wheel. Disconnect the orange ECM wire at the battery. Whatever you can do to stop the car from moving.

ya you got a point there. Im going out right now to switch with the vette. If they can move an X5, automatic corvette and then start my straight pipe exhaust Grand National without me, my parents or my dog not noticing that would be amazing.

There is no reason to approach someone at their home about a car for sale, with all the technology today.

Sure there is. Sometimes you can catch a good deal at the right time by just asking. Though I usually don't go up into someone's yard and ask myself, I know of others who do.

I know of people who go up to peoples houses and ask if a car is for sale and for sure you get way better deals if they decide it is. Personally I dont like to invade peoples privacy so I leave a note on the car or at the house for them to call me if interested, its a more respectful thing to do.

I just got the cars moved around, my driveway now is the grand national with about 1.5ft between teh drivers door and the house with the vette about 4" from the rear bumper. Both cars have the batteries pulled and then the X5 is behind everything. Good luck to whoever can get that car out of there.

Im paronoid, always when you park your car in the driveway, cut the wheels sharp one direction, or the other to prevent a tow truck from lifting the rear and driving off.

ya the wheels on the GN are sharply turned, I forgot to do it on the vette. ill probably go do it in the morning. Never been this paranoid about the car but just sunk some dough into it and going to need it for a few weeks while I pull the motor on my S4.

I have done that. I used to take this route home from work, and saw a GN just sitting in the driveway. So i went up the the door and asked. That was years ago and i was 17-18. My personal perspective was i was very excited to get one and if i can get one for cheap because they just wanted to get rid of it i would have bought it. At that time i didnt think anything of it, maybe they thought i was going to steal the car too, who knows.

I use to live on Long Island, and one thing i learned is that if they want your car they will get it. They will tow the cars blocking it off to get to it. Happens all the time. Becarefull who you talk too on SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.COM theyre is some shady people on that site.Stupid me i worked for a speed shop that most of those guys buy from and talked about my car a lot( i was young and felt liek bragging)I would hear about all the mustangs and etc getting stolen so I use to have rebar looped into the driveway with chains on the rear axle. Thats a good theft deterrant :)

You can also get those driveway alarms, like the ones that detect if someone pulls up. Just aim it at your front bumper and if the car moves back from being towed, you just run out there with old faithfull (HK mp5, barret .50cal, ak47) That choice is up to you :)

Coming from someone who lost a TR to theft, AND met the guys who did a VERY similar thing, MOVE THE CAR NOW.
Log off, go move the car to a friend/relatives garage, shop, or basement.
Now that you are back from moving the car, try to keep a look out for them to come back, get the tag #. Chances are, if they are scoping you, you are not the only one, and they may have already stolen others, and may be in a stolen hooptie car. When people act like criminals do, there is a reason. Trust no one who comes up w/o warning and talks about your private stuff.
Good luck, and check your insurance coverage.

ya you got a point there. Im going out right now to switch with the vette. If they can move an X5, automatic corvette and then start my straight pipe exhaust Grand National without me, my parents or my dog not noticing that would be amazing.

We had a garage broken into, under security, 1/4 mile off the road in a gated home. I agree it takes alot to move 3 cars, but who wants to find their hood up, and wheels missing?!!

I really wish I did have a garage. they were in a brand new camry, had plates but I couldnt read them from the house or I would have written them down and it was that ugly sky blue color they have. They were in front of my neighbors house who is about 25-26 which seemed to be around the age of these guys so next time I see him I will ask if he might have known them and it really was just them seeing the car in the driveway and asking, he hasnt lived there that long so i'll see. Right now there isnt much more I can do then having the car blocked in with battery pulled. thanks for all the support guys.

Storage unit= $50/month or so. Get to it, son!

Don't really want to read another thread about "HELP-CAR STOLEN!"

I wish 50 bucks a month. I might be able to find a parking spot in some apartment building for 100 here in l.a. any closed storage near my house is usually in excess of 150-200 minimum. Rent for a friend of mine with a STUDIO apartment, no kitchen is 1050 a month and doesnt include a parking spot. royally r@ped in terms of real estate.

also get one of those steering column locks. always trust your gut, if you got a bad feeling it probably is bad

All I have is a carport, and my GN was stolen out of my driveway within a half hour of coming back from a car show. I usually do a lot of little things to keep it from getting stolen, but I had a migrain, so all i did was pull the fuse to the pump. They pushed my car 4 blocks and probed every wire on the 2 alarm systems (they were junk) that were on the car. They never got it started.

I usually always unhook the orange wire, and I got the biggest chain that they sell at home depot and wrap that around my axle. The more little things you do, the less they're willing to go through to steal it.

I have a column lock but only one key that was on my main set of keys. I misplaced that set somewhere in the house but luckily today I found it and the column lock is back on. the door locks pins on the car were also removed by the previous owner, seems like if you just broke the window or the window was left open you couldnt actually get in, ive left the passenger door locked and a friend tries to get in, I have to get out and open the door with a key. alittle extra security but not much cause obviously anyone can pick the lock. we use to mess around at the junkyards and lock doors and see how long it would take us to break in, took all of 5 seconds with a flat head and big wrench haha.

The car use to have a neat trick in the programming that i loved. Basically you would have to put the key in the ignition and then put the transmission into park for like 3 seconds then back into drive then the car would start, if you didnt do that ur **** out of luck. Got annoying when I had to work on the car though and shops hated it.

Definitely sounds like theives were plotting, reading it even gave me a bad feeling.
Let's all try to remember, thieves can read the intErwEbz too.
Literal translation? Stop telling all the secrets to securing your cars guys.

Personally, I'd move it asap. If not, make it damn near impossible for it to be moved from it's spot, even with a roll back. Wheels both rolling and owner operated, ECM out of car, fuses pulled, wires disconnected, chain installed everything you can think of.

In all my years of Buick ownership, I've known a few people get their cars stollen. It's not pretty. Don't trust anyone and always know your surroundings when out in the car or even when working on it in your driveway. I've even taken detour trips far away from my home while out cruising just too shake a tail gater, you just never know. Also, in this case, firearms are your best friend. Want to buy my Grand National but you think it's a Cutlass? Say hello to my little friend Mr. AK-47!!! CHICK CHICK!!!

Trust no one.......

Patrick

Why would you post the anti theft disable procedure to your chip on this forum?

Thats down right moronic.

it's funny we all spend tons of money on go fast parts, but usually rely on a cheap alarm system, that you hope you while you sleep, i have had a gn stolen from me, the first thing i did before i started any-type of mods was lo-jack early warning system. ( pretty good stuff-i tested it)
for $100 bucks you can go to X10.com - X10 Home Security, Wireless Security Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More! and pick-up a video camera ( i got 2 camera's. i only have a drive way also, so i went and got an enclosed car-port ( better than nothing) 2 flood lights with motion sensors and the same colom lock, and a couple of friends in case we have company ;)

a bit of advice never,NEVER EVER , show your motor to a complete stranger, i know we love our cars and like to show it off but there's a time and place for everything. to me it sounds like they DEFINETLY were scopeing you out.
be ready, as someone already said it's not an if it's a when.

I had a guy who is well known for theft, meth use, drug abuse, you name it(his brother is also) come into my business one day and made some comments on my GN. He asked me if it was a "Nova" and when I told him no it was a GN he started telling me all about GN's. Quite the expert. He is usually full of Sh*t so I knew he was lying about the "Nova" question. He asked me where I got it and said it "sure was nice" and "wished he had one."
Well, that night I had a dream that I caught him and his brother stealing my car out of my garage. The car was already gone but he was still there, so I shot him with my 9mm (always with me)! Then I hunted his brother down, shot him and got my car back. :)
The next time he came in my store, he made another comment on the car, and asked me "don't you live over by so and so?" I said "NO" and then I said "By the way let me tell you about the dream I had about you and your brother."
He got the message.......

MOVE YOUR CAR NOW! It's just a matter of time!

another good idea

Motion activated flood lights on your driveway. You can even get a solar unit from harbour freight for about $60- no wiring, just mount it set the solar panel on the roof and that's it. Thieves like the cover of darkness, they don't want anyone to see what they are doing. Installing a motion sensor at the corner of the house that is activated from about 5-6 feet inside your property and a second one in the rear can give you 180 degree coverage of the driveway. If they think there is a possibility they will be seen- they will find another victim. The idea is to make it difficult and make your car an undesireable target.