Does this sound like a header problem?

bq93

My car is down waiting on a new accumulator I ordered, but in the meantime I think I may have cracked a header or blown a gasket. I’m still a complete newb with this car so I was hoping for a little diagnostic help.

I’ve read the threads about problems with the headers, but I really didn’t see anything that would help me diagnose the problem beyond what I have already tried.

My brother came over yesterday and I was showing him the car. I noticed that immediately on startup, and on the downside of the rpms if I rev the car, I get a pretty low knocking. It isn't a tick, but rather a fairly loud knock that seems to be coming from the bottom area of the engine. It also isn’t constant, and only shows up if I rev the car, so I don't think it's a motor problem. It is a little discouraging to be a neophyte and have no real clue about how to diagnose the car.

Can someone give me an idea as to how I might be able to verify the problem? I really don’t have a clue.

Leaky headers sounded like a brappy whistle to me, and mine was constant, but obviously louder when revved.

1/2" rubber tube to ear, car running, search every nook and cranny where pipe meets pipe, pipe meets head, etc. Have someone lightly rev the motor while diagnosing.

If you have a leak, it will be quite clear.

Hopefully you're lucky on this one...my buddy a while back had a la sabre with a knocking noise only on revving...it was the bottom end...bad rod bearing, chewed the crank up nicely... Try to get under the car and do the tube or screwdriver to ear test on the oil pan. If its loud I would pull the pan just to be safe.

crap...

I’m going to look at it again tonight. If I can’t find the problem it is going to the shop. I’m not screwing around with this.

and crap again.

I still couldn't figure it out but it started to sound like it was coming from the oilpan area. I went to move it on the ramps so I could get a better view and I heard it when I shifted into reverse. Once I could get under the car it seems to be coming from the front of the transmission.

I'm putting it in the shop tomorrow. I feel a little sick at my stomach right now. I just bought the car!

if it sounds like the front of the trans. it is possible that a torque converter bolt is loose. that could definitely cause a knocking noise. hth!

if it sounds like the front of the trans. it is possible that a torque converter bolt is loose. that could definitely cause a knocking noise. hth!

I agree this is highly possible. Pull off the torque converter cover and check the three bolts that attach the flexplate to the converter. Don't just look at them. Try torquing them (46 ft pounds).
If you take your car to a mechanic, find someone who is experienced with turbo Regals.

I also agree with Johnny on the converter bolts and Boost231 on cracked flexplate. Those are alot easier to check then rod bearings... Check it out before you give up and send it off.

I see you are in Huntsville. If you ever need help from someone close to you who knows these cars EJ Howe has a shop in Conroe. He owns and races a TR. He had been doing a yearly Buick party at his place. I have bought parts from him before. Here is his number 936-203-0591.

Conroe...

Thanks for the input.

I'll keep the shop in Conroe in mind - unfortuenately I don't currently have access to a trailer - so I'll have to see what I can figure out.

$$$

I dropped it off at a local shop I trust. I spoke to the owner and he says he is the only one with turbo Buick experience so he will look at it himself. With out prompting he indicated that he thought it could be a converter bolt or cracked flex plate. It did make me feel like he knew what he was talking about even if I didn’t.

Just out of curiosity – worse case scenario and it’s a cracked flex plate – what am I looking at ballpark to get that fixed? $300 - $500 - $1000+ ?

Description

I found this descrition on another thread and I couldn't describe it any better myself -

"I have a sound like a bolt rattling around in a can coming from underneath my car."

Perfect description - but the car doesn't have to be in gear for it to happen. For reference purposes I will post the results.

Dang.

This morning he said it does appear to be a cracked flexplate. I don’t race the car – it’s just a 3rd car, occasional driver (obviously I put my foot in it from time to time). Is it worth the added expense to go ahead and put on one of the chrome moly flexplates or would stock be sufficient?

If I’m going through the expense to fix it I don’t want to do it again any time in the near future.

Thanks.

Sweet.

Just a little closure in case anyone else searches for this problem -

Turns out it was two loose torque converter bolts. Well, one loose and backing out, the other under torqued. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

Thanks to all for your input. It’s nice to have a community willing to assist.