Does anyone know anything about this engine

Double-L

Trying to find out something about this motor, It come in a carry case with stickers from different race tracks, A guy said it was destroked to run in a midget, He did say it would run at 11,000 rpms all day, It has stage 2 heads that are way over kill of any I have ever seen, A guy said it was a Indy engine but this is a aluminum block, Thought the Indy cars run the iron block, I just won't say anymore and see if anyone can tell me something I don't know

Attachments

• Buick V6 Race Engine.jpg
    Buick V6 Race Engine.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,543
  • Buick Stage 2 Heads.jpg
    Buick Stage 2 Heads.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_6710.jpg
    IMG_6710.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 327
Trying to find out something about this motor, It come in a carry case with stickers from different race tracks, A guy said it was destroked to run in a midget, He did say it would run at 11,000 rpms all day, It has stage 2 heads that are way over kill of any I have ever seen, A guy said it was a Indy engine but this is a aluminum block, Thought the Indy cars run the iron block, I just won't say anymore and see if anyone can tell me something I don't know

Yes I know it was for a midget and I think he said it was built by Scott Brayton's team, Right now it is a 166 c.i. I think and I am a drag racer, If you tried to run the engine like it is to make 400 hp you would have to get the rpms up there, I don't know what the c.i. of this engine was or could be, Don't really know anything about this engine other than what was told and a few papers and stickers, The friend that is going to pull the heads and pan said you are not going to find a eagle crank and rods in this engine so if you changed cranks and rods to stroke it And like I said I thought the Indy engines were iron blocks

Yes, if it's an aluminum block that's very likely from Scott Brayton's team. It likely might have been destined for an Indy Lights run.
I used to own two of Braytons aluminum blocks. One was a 3.8 bore and the other a 4.2 Brayton's did a lot of experimenting with purpose built aluminum blocks for their Indy car program.
There's some nice parts on that thing!!!!!

The bellhousing bolt pattern isn't BOP. Must be some kind of special indy thing. If it really is only 166" its probably a short deck height block (hard to tell from pics). If so, you won't be able to put a stock intake on it or a even a 3.4 stroke crank. There also doesn't appear to be a mounting pad for a starter.

It does have some neat stuff on it though. That hex hanging out of the rear cam bore might be a fuel pump drive. I would love to have that v6 mag.

Thanks I thought it had a big bore and short stroke, Making that many rpms, My big thing is what is a engine like this worth

To us not much. The Buick aluminum blocks cant stand near the amount of horsepower even a stock block can.

Depends on the buyer. For a turbo buick guy its not worth much because very little of it would be useable. My guess is less than $5k based on the going rate for complete n/a stage motors.

If you could find someone that was into vintage indy cars it would be worth a small fortune because that block must be rare. A wild guess would be $20k. But how many vintage indy collectors are out there. BuickGTP, who posted above, might have a better idea about that.

Well I am not trying to sell it really I was thinking about buying it but don't know what it is worth

I'll give you $500 for it. Really, it's just a Buick V6 anyway. Everyone knows the Buick V6 can't possibly make more than 200 HP. Better go and buy a REAL engine. You know.........a Chevy 350 V8.:D Cool find.

The power source book shows detail of a usac indy eng. to be 209 c.i. 800+hp @ 8400 rpm. No mention of block material, but looks closely simular to the pics. There are 5 pages of details.

I'm fairly sure that is NOT an Indy lights engine. From what Ohio George has told me, that program used a leased spec engine. The engines were all identical and were built by several builders, but built to the same specification using the same parts. George showed me several engines on one of my visits. The engines had a Cosworth front cover which had the cam sensor, dry sump pump and water pump in it. They also used Kinsler injection with electronic Fuel injection and a sealed GM ECM with a piggyback MAP sensor. Your engine may be from some IMSA GT or GTP class racer.

From the pictures: You have the Indy heads: Much larger intake ports and unique T&D rocker arms. It looks like a low deck Indy version of the block. Early Indy engines used standard deck blocks and later versions used the lower deck version. I'm not sure what advantages the low deck version provided or even why they went to a low deck block. There is very little in print about the Indy low deck block or Indy Heads. I know a few people who were involved with the initial development and might be able to provide some insight.

Here is a front cover from a standard deck Indy engine that I once owned. The Indy lights engines had a similar front cover without the upper wings

Attachments

• FRTCover.jpg
    FRTCover.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 125
Its some version of a short deck Indy motor. Definately not Indy lights like Dave stated. It has the square port Indy heads too. The only short deck blocks I have seen were iron and this one appears to be aluminum. Short deck Indy motors are of no use unless you have an old Indy car you plan to restore. I wouldn't offer anything for it. You'd be better off to pass.

Neal

I just took a look at the bell again and realized it looks like a FWD bell. Don't know if that helps but...:)