Does any radiator stop-leak goo really work?

Matt Weiser

It's an F.U.V.
I just discovered a pinhole leak in my radiator where one of the tubes meets the end tank. Is there any radiator additive I can use to plug the leak or will it have to be pulled and welded? I know there are lots of products out there, but do any of them really work or is it all just hype?

Thx in advance...:)

bars leak works great. but i wouldnt put it in my tr. ive used it in my old firebird years ago and it sealed up the radiator. your better off having it soldered up and forget about it.:D

Most of the stopleak products are made from ginger-root. They work.....GM installs this same formula at the factory on some cars and trucks. The GM tabs are ginger-root based.

Having said that, do yourself a favor and pull the radiator and fix the problem.

Dave

Originally posted by Pat Adkins
1 teaspoon of pepper. It really works and I'm sure everyone has some in the kitchen.

Caution: only do this if your car is eqipped with a sneeze valve:D

Do it correct the first time.Stopleak will just plug the system up sometime down the road.And besides that it isn't that hard.

Pull the rad cut an bycycle inner tube in half.Clamp both ends of the cut tube to the inlet and outlet of the rad.apply a small amount of press find the pinhole with water or soap water mix.Deflate tube.Then get out the bezo tourch a small wire brush and some solder.Clean with the brush and then solder it making sure you don't overheat it.Let it cool repressurize it and then check for leaks.

I used to fix these for a junk yard and could do 20+ in an hour.I had six going at once.:)

Thx for all the tips. Shoot, it never ceases to amaze me what you can learn on this site. Pepper and ginger root, eh? I never woulda guessed. And that innertube trick is cool, too. I like to do stuff right the first time, so maybe I'll try that. :cool: