Does a blow off valve work good on these cars?

Eric Stauch

Nasty87
Hey everyone, anyone have or had a blow off valve on their tr? i have been told that they are great and will save your turbo and i have also been told they do not work well on these cars. any thoughts or experiences?

I have one and love it. Nice to know that the turbo isn't getting slammed backwords everytime you get out of the throttle. Some guys claim they don't work and you'll experience stumbling, stalling, and backfiring but I experience ZERO of these problems, the car doesn't miss a beat when the BOV goes off.

great! any pics or info on where to put it and how to hook it up? anything you have to do other than jus put it on? which is a good one?

i have a GReaddy type -rs bov on my car i havent had any problems works good.... i installed mine about 8in from the throttle body i bought the bov fleng on e bay

Its not really needed for these cars.
Had my 1st hotair in 1989, none of my cars have/had one and never had a turbo break or wear out.
I'm sure this is the testimony of many many TR owners over the years.
Better investment(s) might be to upgrade the 6-7 year old Walbro 307, to a current Walbro 340 w/ hot wire kit.
Then add alky.

I'm sure anyone that deals with turbos will tell you that putting your turbo into surge is not a good thing under any circumstances. Especially the larger turbo sizes. Use a BOV. I use Godzilla.

I took this photo for someone when I was selling my 3" intake setup but incidentally it's the only good picture I have of the BOV...

2.gif

Sure a lot of guys will argue that they've never destroyed a turbo due to not having a BOV, and yes they are really more useful on a car with a manual transmission, BUT just because you haven't blown your turbo into a thousand pieces yet doesn't mean it's a good thing for the turbo to get slammed by the backwards air charge every time the throttle blade snaps shut. Buick didn't put a lot of things on these cars from the factory, such as a decent boost gauge. Doesn't mean you don't need one!

is that very safe??? when the throttle closes and that air charge decides its going to vent to atmosphere from the BOV, wouldnt that thing sneeze alcohol all over the place...maybe even on the hot turbo! ive always wondered that!

I mounted my BOV halfway down the up pipe. As close to the intercooler as I could get.

I have my TiAL in the same spot, just the other side of the uppipe, that Turbo6Chicago does. Alky on there too, at first I was leary about it spitting alky, but I have checked and checked right after letting it go and have never seen anything to make me believe it does.

I've yet to see any evidence that any alky is making it's way out of the valve.

I'm installing a front mount intercooler this year and will have to put the BOV on the new pipes, I will probably move it a little further down now that I have a choice.

I'm sure anyone that deals with turbos will tell you that putting your turbo into surge is not a good thing under any circumstances. Especially the larger turbo sizes. Use a BOV. I use Godzilla.

I was able to eliminate surge with a $39 tornado in the MAF pipe/turbo inlet bell connection, as the late Bruce Plecan suggested.

I was able to eliminate surge with a $39 tornado in the MAF pipe/turbo inlet bell connection, as the late Bruce Plecan suggested.

I have a high respect for anything Bruce said.... but my gosh... I sure don't want anything in front of my compressor wheel that doesn't belong..... just ups the chances of a problem of some sort and sucking that thing... or parts of it down through the compressor wheel.

I have a high respect for anything Bruce said.... but my gosh... I sure don't want anything in front of my compressor wheel that doesn't belong..... just ups the chances of a problem of some sort and sucking that thing... or parts of it down through the compressor wheel.

Not gonna happen; if you saw how one was constructed you wouldn't write that.
Its far more sturdy than a stock MAF sensor, and I never heard of those letting go.