Dodge has got it going on!

bishir

Serenity Now
I just came back from my local Dodge dealer. I was tempted to see if they had any of the new Dodge Magnums and to my surprise there was one in the showroom sitting next to a new Viper. I gotta say, the Magnums and 300c are some fine looking and performing automobiles. 340HP and 390ftlbs in a family car that looks and feels like a Mercedes inside is very cool for 30k. Mags such as Car and Driver are saying 13.8 1/4mile times stock! Plus, the prices are very reasonable considering what you get. The Magnum runs on 4cyl when crusing and 8 when needed for fuel economy. That sounds cool, but I think I'll wait and see how that works out in the long run despite reviews saying it works flawlessly. If I had to choose today it would be an all black Magnum over the 300.

If you don't know the two cars I'm talking about here are some links.

Magnum
More Magnum RT pics

http://www.dodgeboy.net/news/300c/300c_frame.htm]300c and touring concept[/URL]

It's plain to see that Daimler is the best thing to happen to Chrysler in it's history. Great performing, quality cars and a very defined style as well. Looking forward to seeing how they are doing after some hard miles are put on them.

I am not sure I understand the cruising/fuel economy reference.

Didn't Cadillac try that V8-6-4 about 20 years ago?

Originally posted by wlaukaitis
I am not sure I understand the cruising/fuel economy reference.

Didn't Cadillac try that V8-6-4 about 20 years ago?

yes and 20 years ago what could a personal computer do?

That's right, Jack Squat.

correct. The electronics of 20 years ago was the problem. Today its a walk in the park(so to speak) The Chrysler system works flawwlessly. I drove one too

I work at a Chevy/Chrysler dealer as a tech and I must say I do agree with everyone that Chrysler is doing great things in cooperating with Mercedes. Chevy is losing its class with little econoboxes like the Aveo (aka Daewoo POS), while Chrysler is doing amazing things. Oh by the way, that 8-6-4 thing that Caddy did only shut off ignition to the cylinders; not fuel. That's why it sucked. I'm sure we all know what too much fuel equals right? Detonation, preignition, plug fouling, yada yada.

work at a Chevy/Chrysler dealer as a tech and I must say I do agree with everyone that Chrysler is doing great things in cooperating with Mercedes. Chevy is losing its class with little econoboxes like the Aveo (aka Daewoo POS), while Chrysler is doing amazing things. Oh by the way, that 8-6-4 thing that Caddy did only shut off ignition to the cylinders; not fuel. That's why it sucked. I'm sure we all know what too much fuel equals right? Detonation, preignition, plug fouling, yada yada.
Yup, not to mention all that fuel washing down the cylinder walls. :eek:

I have to admit, I also like what GM is doing with the caddy division, but affordablility is the key here. And it's hard to get excited about some of the GM products like the GTO because nothing sets it apart styling wise.

Originally posted by bishir
And it's hard to get excited about some of the GM products like the GTO because nothing sets it apart styling wise.
Oh no! :eek: That can of worms again!

I agree with that statement 100% though. :p

Originally posted by Hotair85
I work at a Chevy/Chrysler dealer as a tech ......... Oh by the way, that 8-6-4 thing that Caddy did only shut off ignition to the cylinders; not fuel. ...........

Maybe you should find a Cad mechanic [that was working on them in 1980!] and find out how that engine really did work. Different than you stated.:)

Originally posted by Hotair85
Oh by the way, that 8-6-4 thing that Caddy did only shut off ignition to the cylinders; not fuel. That's why it sucked. I'm sure we all know what too much fuel equals right? Detonation, preignition, plug fouling, yada yada.

Actually, it activated and deactivated valves. Remember the 8" high valve covers with the huge solenoids inside? Was an excellent idea circa 1980, but not too "soft". I'm sure the chrysler system randomly cuts injectors, sort of a soft rev limiter when load is low.

I just bought my wife a Grand Cherokee and the difference between it and my Chevy pickup in terms of quality is ridiculous. I mean yes, its a 40k jeep vs a 20k truck, but jeez, the Jeep is such a nice vehicle, and that 4.7 V8 is just fantastic.

I like the Magnum, from what I've seen (but haven't seen one in person). Is the interior nicer in person than in the pictures? I really like the car, but I'm thinking wait until the 2nd year of production to get the bugs out.
The 300C I saw on the road looked kind of "stubby" for its bulky size. I think it it was stretched out some it would make it's heft more in balance.

Gotta go with the bad wagon, I'm glad to see that car come out. I *LIKE* big cars, I'm tired of all the 4 cyl smallies, despite some good performers in the group.

Gotta go with the bad wagon, I'm glad to see that car come out. I *LIKE* big cars, I'm tired of all the 4 cyl smallies, despite some good performers in the group.

I agree. The ressurection of the station wagon is here! :D Who thinks the station wagon will be the replacement for the SUV, which was, in essence, a replacement for the station wagon? :confused:

GM will probably get around to releasing one in, say, 2018? :rolleyes: Vista Cruiser maybe? :D

I'd rather have my 1972 Olds Vista Cruiser than any Dodge. ;)

455 power. :)

No Germans involved either. :rolleyes:

A real station wagon. :)

Originally posted by Black Box
I agree. The ressurection of the station wagon is here! :D Who thinks the station wagon will be the replacement for the SUV, which was, in essence, a replacement for the station wagon? :confused:

GM will probably get around to releasing one in, say, 2018? :rolleyes: Vista Cruiser maybe? :D

Actually, I think the SUV replaced the minivan that replaced the station wagon. I have been telling people for years that the station wagon was going to make a comeback. Little did I know that Dodge was listening. And do you really think that GM will come around that soon? I dunno. I bet they'll jump on board after everyone else is already on. Don't want to make any risky decisions. Ya know?

Brian
The long roof is in!

I have to Agree. Mopar is beating GM to every punch.

The dakota is a very popular mid size truck that has been out for a while.. Only recently GM is playing catch up with the colorado.