Do you know any turbo builders from Canada?

V8turboGMC

I bought a T76 turbo from "Spooled" here on the board. He said he got if from a guy in Ontario, he thinks. His name might be something like Rich Broker or Barker, not really sure though. If anyone knows turbo builder from Canada please let me know.
Thanks,
Kyle~

there someone in quebec city that i think can rebuilt a turbo
i going to look for is phone number and post it

Jim Hailey 519-756-3730 just outside Toronto .does alot of race turbos. did my PT52.

I found Jim Hailey to be a little slippery .I sent it in for him to "check it out" after I had a engine bearing problem . he ordered all the parts from PTE without first giving me a quote on how much it would cost to rebuild . I left several phoned messages asking him to call me with info on quote and what was going on . Got back a call "your turbo is finished , that will be $550 please" .I then called back 1 day latter to confirm address and choice of payment info and talk to Jim himself . Then Jim gets on the phone "it will be $750" . ""WTF your receptionist told me $550 "(after I asked her several times "that includes everything right?") . Oh , she forgot the UPS custom charges. Can you say "UP THE ASS" ?? I was so pissed I almost said "you can keep it . For almost that amount I can go and buy another" .The turbo was shipped back poorly packaged as well.He did'nt have a clue that being a company that he was intitled to customs excempts and such. so I got it up the ass . When I questioned him on it he said the turbo was a "Hybred" and more expensive to fix . So be aware , just a little story to let you know . Next time any turbos I have will be going to John Craig no matter what the extra cost will be .

My main beef is that I should of been contacted with a COMPLETE price for rebuild before any work or parts went ahead on the turbo. the turbo had orig less then 500 easy miles on it before the engine bearing problem . there was no shaft play on it when it went into JH . But he replaced the thrust washer anyways . Go figure .

I've dealt with MANY vendors in the last 2-3 years and dealing with JH has been the only time I felt I was HAD !!!! And has been the ONLY vendor I have EVER posted a negative comment about .

I know it's xmas , I was just checking my email and got a notice on this .and I wanted to tell my story on it. because I'm still a little pissed about it . .

FYI,

There is a place in BC that builds turbo's for our cars and they are called ADP Turbo (I believe), I have their contact info at home and will post it in a day or two. I have called and spoke to them and they seem knowledgable on turbo's in general and also on TR's. The next turbo I get will either be from ADP or Limit Engineering (John Craig).

Regards,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Originally posted by KWIKR 1
I found Jim Hailey to be a little slippery .I sent it in for him to "check it out" after I had a engine bearing problem . he ordered all the parts from PTE without first giving me a quote on how much it would cost to rebuild . I left several phoned messages asking him to call me with info on quote and what was going on . Got back a call "your turbo is finished , that will be $550 please" .I then called back 1 day latter to confirm address and choice of payment info and talk to Jim himself . Then Jim gets on the phone "it will be $750" . ""WTF your receptionist told me $550 "(after I asked her several times "that includes everything right?") . Oh , she forgot the UPS custom charges. Can you say "UP THE ASS" ?? I was so pissed I almost said "you can keep it . For almost that amount I can go and buy another" .The turbo was shipped back poorly packaged as well.He did'nt have a clue that being a company that he was intitled to customs excempts and such. so I got it up the ass . When I questioned him on it he said the turbo was a "Hybred" and more expensive to fix . So be aware , just a little story to let you know . Next time any turbos I have will be going to John Craig no matter what the extra cost will be .

My main beef is that I should of been contacted with a COMPLETE price for rebuild before any work or parts went ahead on the turbo. the turbo had orig less then 500 easy miles on it before the engine bearing problem . there was no shaft play on it when it went into JH . But he replaced the thrust washer anyways . Go figure .

I've dealt with MANY vendors in the last 2-3 years and dealing with JH has been the only time I felt I was HAD !!!! And has been the ONLY vendor I have EVER posted a negative comment about .

I know it's xmas , I was just checking my email and got a notice on this .and I wanted to tell my story on it. because I'm still a little pissed about it . .

I wouldn't be too upset about it.
Most places in Canada charge $600 for a generic rebuild.
Harry uses some proprietary parts on his turbos that other builders can't get without going through him.
I have a PTE 63e and just wiped a cam lobe.Hmm.
I shudder to think what that might cost,if it's damaged.
However,if I ship to the States for a rebuild,I'm really gonna get hosed.
That $350 rebuild is going to jump to $700 Canadian in a hurry!
I know what it will cost,because I've been dealing parts over the border for 7+ years now.
Then there's the possibilty of damage in shipping[OOPS,you know],or loss and no insurance payout[they don't pay for sh!t,I've got more damaged parts including a $2100 Canadian CAS V-1 they whacked and refused to pay on.Ask Tony at CAS about them].
As to not getting a call first before the rebuild and telling you a price,he probably goofed.He is pretty busy most days.
You could have told him to put it back the way it was and gave him $50 for the looksee.That's been done before.
:)

Explain this,Why can they make a transport truck turbo last a million miles and a turbo on our cars last only 2 to 10 thousand miles?

That's not too hard to explain.
Truck turbos typically spin at 65-70,000 rpm.
At full boost a G/N's turbo will spin up around 100,000 + rpm.
Of course the stresses are a square of the ratio of the speeds,eg:
2 times as fast = 4 times the stress.
Add in the larger and better filtering systems that most big rigs have and you can see why.