Do I need a Adj FPR?

GottaBuick

Quick question everyone. I have an 87 GN with 38k miles and a stock drivetrain except exhaust. I have been doing alot of preventative maintenance because I do take alot of long drives out of town and want to keep the reliability up. I want to replace the fuel pump this spring, just because of age, and have decided to upgrade it as well (never know what I might want to do later) to the walbro. My question is this, do I have to put in a ADJ FPR along with it? Thoretically I shouldn't, but I have read some things on the site that lend me to believe the stock one will not handle the higher displacement. I know if I do any upgrading in the future I will need it, but for now I would rather not touch it because it runs great.

oh and I do have a hotwire kit and scanmaster. Thanks in advance.

What are your plans for the car?

If you plan to do the pump and keep the car at stock boost levels you will be fine with the stock one.

If you plan to increase the boost or do additional modifications you are going to need an adjustable FPR.

thanks and yes, I plan on still running stock boost levels. I am sure at some point in the future i might up the boost, chip, injectors.....etc. But it won't be anytime soon. I have learned from projects past, do things slowly, don't add ten parts at once or if there is a problem then finding it becomes 10 times harder.

There will likely be no shortage of FPR's. It's a cheap mod that you'll likely use down the road and easy to install. Install it and set for stock PSI. It'll be there when you need it. I'd personally attach a gauge to it too.

Personally, unless you are highly modified I have never seen the need for one. If you are running the stock 233 regulator I would upgrade to the 237 regulator. JMHO :)

How long have you had the car?
Do you know if the FP has been replaced or just assuming "old"...?

Already having hotwire & SM as stated, I'd go with:

1) Real, aux. boost gauge,
2) FP gauge (remote desirable),
3) Adjustable FPR,
4) Adj. waste gate (boost) controller,
5) New fuel filter to go with your new fuel pump

I have had the car almost a year, and I assume it has never been replaced. Like I said, besides exhaust, it was a completely stock drive train when I got it. I put the hotwire on myself last year, along with RJC plate, various sensors including O2, just wanted it reliable and bringing up to date a little. Not looking to up the power yet, it's still fun for now. I just like to be able to jump in it on the weekend and take a 2 hour rode trip if desired while not worrying to much.

crap, all this talk about the car, it is still more than a month or better before the weather will warm up and I can uncover the car and take it out of the garage. Sucks looking at it everymorning before going to work. looks lonely!

I have had the car almost a year, and I assume it has never been replaced. Like I said, besides exhaust, it was a completely stock drive train when I got it. I put the hotwire on myself last year, along with RJC plate, various sensors including O2, just wanted it reliable and bringing up to date a little. Not looking to up the power yet, it's still fun for now. I just like to be able to jump in it on the weekend and take a 2 hour rode trip if desired while not worrying to much.

crap, all this talk about the car, it is still more than a month or better before the weather will warm up and I can uncover the car and take it out of the garage. Sucks looking at it everymorning before going to work. looks lonely!

You think THAT sucks...try looking at your Grand National on jackstands everyday with hundreds of stuff to do to it before you get it on the road again, like I do. I have pictures of it all around me, beautiful, black, Torque Thrust IIs and I can't drive it anywhere because I'm restoring it the best I can, want to make sure it'll run reliably when we take it out. Still putting the interior back together, all kinds of other stuff to do. I sit in it every night and think about driving it daily again.

I miss driving that thing something bad!!!!! Cold as hell, but at least in my garage with a ReddyHeater, all kinds of stuff I have to do to it. Really sucks, but if I want to really enjoy it and make it dependable, I have to have patience and think to the day I'll back my baby up, out of the garage and lay a pair of black stripes on my driveway. Even my wonderful wife keeps asking "When are you going to finish your Grand National? I want to drive it!!!!" One thing after another.

At least I HAVE my own Grand National. That, in itself, is a miracle!:rolleyes: Count your blessings. Warm weather will be here soon. Me, I just finished painting my rear tail light trims with Sem black, and, of course, ran out of paint. So, only one coat each, now have to go up to Carlisle, PA in the spring and get a few more cans of it. Sigh.:( But, I've got a Grand National all my own!!!!!!!

Bruce '87 Grand National

OR, you could just simply order all the SEM paint you need/want online...:smile:

Good suggestion....BUT....I got smart, went to their website online, used the store locator section that they have that stocks/sells SEM products...and....they have a store only 23 miles from where I live! That beats 300 miles to Carlisle. So, I'm going to that store next week for more paint. Thanks for the suggestion. Wow, sometimes things go right for me.:biggrin:

Bruce '87 Grand National