Do I need a 93 octane chip to run 93 in an emergency?

Can I get away with running 93 as long as I don't boost it or do I need a 93 chip. Trying to figure what I need if I run across a situtation where I can't get E-85 on a trip.

Your tune will be WAY rich, I don't know if it'll even run...I would be scared it would wash down the cylinders and ruin your ring seal.

Maybe if you turned the fuel pressure down to 32-35psi it might work. Maybe ask the chipmaker.

David
87GN

Using a corn SD chip from Eric you can lower the overall fuel and go back to 93 or race fuel. Not many are aware of that.

Using a corn SD chip from Eric you can lower the overall fuel and go back to 93 or race fuel. Not many are aware of that.

Op doesn't have an sd chip, but does have a turbotweak with wb...I don't know if it has the capablity to pull that much fuel or not, maybe Eric will jump in.

You can run any chip burned for 93 octane or higher for closed loop cruising with 93. The fueling doesn't change much at light load regardless of octane. Well within the window for closed loop correction. If block learn is around 128 in closed loop with a good o2 sensor then you are very close to stoic.

Op doesn't have an sd chip, but does have a turbotweak with wb...I don't know if it has the capablity to pull that much fuel or not, maybe Eric will jump in.

I see that, I was kind of hinting at upgrading...LOL. I logged my 6.1 on various driving conditions and used that as a reference when I got mine. Didn't really need it though. It was very very close out of the box.

You can run any chip burned for 93 octane or higher for closed loop cruising with 93. The fueling doesn't change much at light load regardless of octane. Well within the window for closed loop correction. If block learn is around 128 in closed loop with a good o2 sensor then you are very close to stoic.

The discussion involves the lack of E85 fuel with an E85 setup.

On the SD chip you could take out 20% fuel and it may be close. But if your chip is not adjustable it may be easier to just get a 93 chip and keep it in the car for emergencies. They are cheap anyway.

87GN_70GS said:
The discussion involves the lack of E85 fuel with an E85 setup.

That would likely be a no then. In a pinch you could try and knock the baseline pressure way down if you lines and regulator orifice weren't a regulator themselves and you might be able to get it to run in closed loop. The cranking fuel and open loop won't be close though.

On the SD chip you could take out 20% fuel and it may be close. But if your chip is not adjustable it may be easier to just get a 93 chip and keep it in the car for emergencies. They are cheap anyway.

Sweet6. That parameter will go lower than the chart shows. I f you go bigger than 83-95 you may not be able to do what I am mentioning. But yeah, the emergency chip would be for just normal get me home driving so no need for a feature packed chip.

What am i missing in this thread?
Gasoline car gasoline chip
E85 car E85 chip.
E85 car runs out of E85 Stop at the Gasoline station filler up with gasoline, plug in your gasoline chip and go on with life.
E85 car has Too much fuel flowing??? that even with a correct Gasoline chip the car wont work??
I am thinking of also going E85 locally and back to Gasoline for my long drives.
So he please help a dummy out.

As a general rule E85 uses 20% more fuel than gas. So some chips you may be able to adjust it to make it work. Or if you want to be safe just get a 93 chip for running normal gas. Swapping a chip out is probably faster than adjusting the chip anyway. At least I would think so. :)

As a general rule E85 uses 20% more fuel than gas. So some chips you may be able to adjust it to make it work. Or if you want to be safe just get a 93 chip for running normal gas. Swapping a chip out is probably faster than adjusting the chip anyway. At least I would think so. :)
I was thinking the same thing.
Why even bother to try and adjust the E85 chip.
Most have/take notes on their tune.
So when the gasoline chip gets put in look at your notes change your settings and go.

Trying to figure what I need if I run across a situtation where I can't get E-85 on a trip.

You can't adjust enough to do this with the chip you have.

If you use a Translator(I recommend a Translator plus for its simple timing adjustment knob) with a3" MAF and an Extender chip,You can bounce back and forth.

The translator has a knob that you turn to a specific number depending on which MAF you have. If you turn the knob clockwise to the next number your entire RPM range is 10% richer. If you turn the knob clockwise to the next number,your entire RPM range is 10% leaner. You need this kind of adjustment because you need more or less fuel(depending on which fuel your switching to) from idle to full throttle. You can't simply alter your full throttle fuel.

The Extender chip has an adjustable feature called BLM correction. In 2% increments,you can enrichen or enlean the entire RPM range just a tick over 20%. These two Full Throttle items give the stock ECM unmatched adjustability. I also like the Extender chip because it extends the range of the MAF's ability to read true airflow. The reason this is so nice is because you don't have to adjust fuel up or down when the air temp changes,because of its ability to truly read the amount of air entering the engine.

As you can see,if you already have an Extender chip and a Translator your movement to E85 is simple. Set your MAF base fuel knob to 10% rich and move your BLM corection number from the default of 8 to the max enrichement number of 15. Of course,your boost will be very limited because you'll rapidly run out of injector and fuel pump at full throttle but you'll be able to experience the addictive super fast spool up and new found torque and its associated traction problems.

You can still play with E85 before you buy a double pumper and bigger injectors . If you can buy injectors that are 30% bigger than your current injectors(if you're currently running gas and want to try E85) you don't even need to buy a different chip. Simply turn you MAF base fuel knob to 10% lean and chane you BLM correction number to the leanest number of zero.

SWEAT!!!

We run 93 with our E85 chip in a pinch and the car runs just fine. Just dont get into the boost. When we go on the Power Tour, we do bring a 93 chip just incase we have a spot that E85 isnt available but so far we havent had a problem finding it while driving North and South in the Midwest regions. There was one spot in OK this year that a station that listed E85 didnt actually have it. We decided to switch chips at that point.

But, in general if we need to fill up and there is no E85 available, we just add 93 to get us to the next E85 station. No biggie.