Do I have fighting chance?

malibu78

I am going to the track this weekend and my buddy has a camaro that runs consistent 11.50's in 60 degree/low humidity weather. Do I have a chance with my 87 GN. This is my combo
stock block, heads, and cam 79,000miles
TE 60 turbo
v2 front mount
009 injectors
Kenne belle ram air with 14 inch filter
power plate
new comp valve springs
Maf Translator
SMC old style Alky
THDP 3inch with electric dump
21/2 inch mandrel bent exhaust
2800-3200 precision stall
shift kit in the 200r4
3.42 gears with 26x9 slicks
turbo tweak alky chip 24 degrees in 1/2 gear 23 in 3rd
SCANMASTER 2.1 WITH THE FOLLOWING READINGS
TPS set at .44 idle 4.78 @WOT
IAC 20 at idle
BLM 136 at idle
02 volts btwn 760-800 @ WOT
no knock in 3rd at 20lbs of boost have not tried turning up the boost only down. Don't want to hurt anything people say this is high for pump gas, even with alky.
Alky pump works great 94lbs all the way up when testing.

I am hoping to bust into the 11's some say "easy" 11's I dont know though. Should I line up next to the camaro after a few shake downs or am i going to get embarassed. New to turbo buicks. not to drag racing. I have a 9.90 78 malibu on N20

Also a question: When these cars get over 180 degrees farenheit I have noticed (seat of the pants feel) that they do not seem nearly as fast as when they are below 175 is this common?

Why are you worried? You have the experience and the car. Make sure you are familiar with how the car likes to launch and turn up the boost.

Is your Turbo Tweak chip adjustable? If it is then you need to turn up the boost and add more fuel to the chip. 25 psi is nothing for a 60 trim turbo not to mention it is a helluva lot more fun at 25 than it is at 20. :biggrin:

it is an older version chip. version 5.4 I think I can adj fuel +/- 10% will that be enough to handle the boost. I don't want to detonate this car is beautiful, no oil leaks, which is almost unheard of when running more than 18lbs of boost without the neoprin seal, Should I put some leaded 110 in with the 93 just for insurance? I do have a heated 02 sensor. I figure 2 gallons of 93 5 gallons of 110.

Advice

Load that monster up with 116 and turn up the boost. Make a practice run hopefully before ur buddy gets there to see where the car is then "Layeth the Smackdown on his Candyass" :biggrin:

It's gonna start leaking sooner or later, so turn it up and watch your tune. These things are wicked over 20 psi :biggrin: You'll loose only if you fry the tires at half track. Get as much octane as you can in it, crank up the boost, and whip that b***ch. You are gonna be suprised.

Stock longblock car its going to take a lot of boost. The next issue is track time/seat time... something you lack with the current car.

The power in these cars is heads, cam, turbo. At best in the heat that turbo will get you 115 in the heat.. thats a high 11 second run with a good 60 foot. And you need to get greedy on the tuneup.

Maybe your car's a freak and can miraculously do it.. My bet would be at 23-25 PSI low 12's.

If he's on his game.. and slows down to 11.8-11.9.. slight chance.

Under ideal conditions your car may run 11.5's but weather, tuneup, slicks, etc.. and a non-heavy car.

You need some WOT tuning time at higher boost. Yes the cars slow down when the teps go up.. race it at 155 degree's crossing the line at 170.

And to get greedy.. you'll need more alky than your kit will currently support.

Razor said:
Stock longblock car its going to take a lot of boost. The next issue is track time/seat time... something you lack with the current car.

The power in these cars is heads, cam, turbo. At best in the heat that turbo will get you 115 in the heat.. thats a high 11 second run with a good 60 foot. And you need to get greedy on the tuneup.

Maybe your car's a freak and can miraculously do it.. My bet would be at 23-25 PSI low 12's.

If he's on his game.. and slows down to 11.8-11.9.. slight chance.

Under ideal conditions your car may run 11.5's but weather, tuneup, slicks, etc.. and a non-heavy car.

You need some WOT tuning time at higher boost. Yes the cars slow down when the teps go up.. race it at 155 degree's crossing the line at 170.

And to get greedy.. you'll need more alky than your kit will currently support.
Temp here in mich will be in the 70's, DA=0, Should I throw some 110 or higher fuel in the car to crank the boost up? I planned on following your sticky on alky tuning I already set the TPS, IAC, and BLM within your recommended parameters. I understand to go slow to go fast in other words take time in the tune. With a nice fall day say low to mid 50's high barometric pressure do you think I will be able to get 114-117mph out of her. I realize et is traction related. In terms of driving should I leave it in drive and let it shift itself or shift it manually. I can currently run 20lbs with no knock with 93 octane and o2 are between 760 and 800

The higher octane mix will help if you cannot hit the motor with enough alcohol.

Look its like this, the fastest stock turbo/stock longblock/stock IC car ran 11.37 at 116.5. 26-28 PSI boost, 28 degree's timing, leaving off the T-brake.. cut a 1.50 60 foot in a November 52 degree day..

If your engine is in great shape, you are meticulous about changes and the way they interact with your combination.. and really work on tuning the car to the 10 th degree.. yes anything is possible.

On a car with no tuning but seat dyno around town.. its takes a lot of luck to break into the 11's. And it wont happen on low boost or low timing. I have seen only a few cars untuned with TE60's make it into the 11's.. and they were hail mary runs close to 28-30 PSI.

Put the car on a heavy diet, get some slicks.. leave at 10 PSI minimum.. dead hook it.. with boost and timing you'll run in the 11's. Anything less.. mid 12's.

tuning is everything

I would put the race on hold to you get more tuning & track time an put down a # then you will no where your car is at

turbo2nr said:
30 PSI will spank him with slicks.

But on a car not been to the track.. 30 PSI will get him really close to building that engine he's always wanted ;)

Razor said:
But on a car not been to the track.. 30 PSI will get him really close to building that engine he's always wanted ;)

that brought a grin to my face :p

Razor,

I plan I draining the 93 octane through the fuel rail and putting 110. I realize apporximately a gallon or two will still be in the tank. I will put straight 110 6 gallons in the tank and start at 21lbs of boost timing at 24 in 1st and 2nd 22* in 3rd. As stated earlier the TPS, IAC, AND BLM are in the accepted parameters in your sticky on tuning for alky, car is running fine, no oil leaks, no surging, coughing, etc. no thrown codes on Scanmaster 2.1

The slicks will be set at 10lbs hot
12 lbs in right air bag
front sway removed
boxed control arms upper and lower
starting out a 6lbs launch to determine how car will 60 foot

Is this an appropriate starting point? If no knock I will increase boost by a pound at a time.

malibu78 said:
Razor,

I plan I draining the 93 octane through the fuel rail and putting 110. I realize apporximately a gallon or two will still be in the tank. I will put straight 110 6 gallons in the tank and start at 21lbs of boost timing at 24 in 1st and 2nd 22* in 3rd. As stated earlier the TPS, IAC, AND BLM are in the accepted parameters in your sticky on tuning for alky, car is running fine, no oil leaks, no surging, coughing, etc. no thrown codes on Scanmaster 2.1

The slicks will be set at 10lbs hot
12 lbs in right air bag
front sway removed
boxed control arms upper and lower
starting out a 6lbs launch to determine how car will 60 foot

Is this an appropriate starting point? If no knock I will increase boost by a pound at a time.

Keep your alky on..

Grumpy said:
let us know your results :cool: just don't get to greedy :p

Grumpy what would be getting greedy. I am pretty methodical in tuning my cars. I have a 78 malibu that started out as a 11.90-12.0 car on motor through tuning, adding a spooled rearend, a different carb, and electric water pump and fan final result 10.92 on motor and 9.97 on n2o. :D

So I plan I increasing boost in one lbs increments until I see KR and then I will turn in down a pound or should I try adding more fuel? If I add more fuel should I do it by increasing fuel pressure, increasing it through the chip, or increasing it through the MAF translator?

My understanding, and please, please, correct me if I am wrong. As long as your o2 count is between 750-800 and there is zero knock you keep screwing the boost up, of course in small increments. Is this correct? I will NOT push it more than 25lbs of boost and will only put it up there if KR and O2 looks good.

Got it done :) Went 11.63 @115.88 on the 9th pass down the track hot lapped it and backed it up with 11.60@ 116.22 both runs @ 24lbs of boost with the dump open. The dump was worth 3/10 and 3mph @ 24lbs of boost. Started out with a 12.09 a 21.5 lbs of boost took three trips to the track and 10 runs to get it done. Slicks were used on the 11.60 run. Mind you this is with the alky chip and 93 octane. I know for a fact there is at least 2/10 left in her with more fuel, boost and some 110 for insurance. Guys at the track insisted that I had a cam and other stuff done. All stock internals except the valve springs. 79k motor to boot. By the way my buddy's camaro flat out rocked 11.16 @ 122.7. He drove it 47 miles to the track too. Those smallblocks are hard to beat.

Wow, what did your buddy do to an NA motor, to drop 4 tenths off??? and no, those sbc's are not hard to beat. Youll see what were talkin about in the future. Good job on the et's though. Sounds like a nice car ya got there. Good luck in the future.