Do I have a converter issue?

Amelio

I did a search but could not find anything.......

I have been running the converter I have for quite some time it is a Art Carr 10" 3000 stall NLU

I have always felt that the car does not leave hard enough and does not spool as fast as it should, I finally have the car running pretty good on the street and that is where it spends 95% of its time. The best pass the car has seen was two years ago and that day was the most track time the car has seen also. It left ok but still feels like it should be leaving much harder and spooling faster.

That pass I left at about 5-6 psi pulled a 1.72 60" it went through at 11.54 @118 this was on 19psi and 26" tires....since then it has been back to track last year got 5 passes before I popped a head gasket.....but every time it left it just seemed to take too long to spool.

I have never thought I had a convereter issue but I am looking into it now, the reason being is I have been playing with E-85 so I can run a lil more boost than usual I actually just got back from a lil drive gave it a few more pounds expecting faster spool and I was wrong. I have been running 15psi and it is slow to spool from a stop even holding 5psi. I gave it 2 turns in 16-17psi and the lag time is virtually the same but obviously making more power.

I spooled it up in the driveway as soon as I saw the needle on the boost gauge just barely move "0" psi I looked at my rpm 1900 that seems awfully low.

stock ported and polished heads larger valve
Old school TE-66
210/215 roller
Stock gearing 26"tires

Do I have a converter problem?

Yes it sounds like it's way too tight. That's unusual for a 10" to stall that low. It sounds more like a 12".

Is there any other way to test it....what should I see rpm wise at lets say 2 psi and then 4psi?

No its definitely a 10" its a little guy a stock D5 dwarfs it!

Dusty...in your opinion is it worth having it loosened or just buy another converter?

At first I started to think maybe I have an exhaust leak but I dont see how an exhaust leak would have any effect on where the converter is coming in at. Is this correct thinking?

I should still see at least 2700rpm just before the boost gauge moves 0psi correct?

Have you ever heard of a 10" converter being so low without a problem.......if it in fact is working correctly do they make them that low?

I've never seen a 10" stall like that either. You won't be able to get it to stall acceptably and still couple. It's not worth the $ and aggravation. I'd suggest you buy a new proven one from Dusty.

I've never seen a 10" stall like that either. You won't be able to get it to stall acceptably and still couple. It's not worth the $ and aggravation. I'd suggest you buy a new proven one from Dusty.

Come to think of it I actually think it is a 9" it is really small. I just want to rule out any other possible issues before popping the cash for a new one......from what I have read even if it was a 3000 stall I may need a little more given my combo.

Just as a test does it make sense to unhook the waste gate and see the stall without boost being in the equation? Either way I know waht I saw yesterday 1900rpm at 0 psi

I have had this converter for a long timeso I am not sure what I should be expecting....but what I exsperience is after stalling 5-6psi let the brake go the car leaves and is still building boost for at least 3-4 car lengths

The car should be full spooled and rolling out hard given the same description with a proper converter correct?

My guess is your converter has a sprag and it has broken. That's about the only way you can get a 10" to be as tight as a stock D5.

Dusty Bradford said:
My guess is your converter has a sprag and it has broken. That's about the only way you can get a 10" to be as tight as a stock D5.

I agree.

did some playing with the car earlier....I put a wrench on all my header bolts and they were all looseo_O then I went around the block...the loose header bolts were part of the spool up issue it did help but I also double checked the stall again same as before 1950rpm at 0 psi.

Before I pull the trigger on a new converter.....are there any potential problems to keep driving the car if it does have a broken sprag?