Do diesel truck always want to race you?

turbows6

This may sound like an odd post, but do diesel truck always try to race you? Maybe it's just because I live in a hick town, but there is always some hillbilly trying to roll coal/race next to me. It happens more than any car that wants to run.

I had a guy in a Cummins truck try to buy my car a day or two ago (he said he had $4k cash any time I wanted it. lol)

I haven't had one try and race me yet but we have a bunch of coal rollers around here too. I can't tell you how many arguments I've heard about how fast these trucks are vs a car and how they can take off in 4x4 and you'll never catch them. Some truth to it if the truck is set up right but I would imagine a tuned Duramax or Cummins with big exhaust would run somewhere in the 14's or 15's? If all you drive is a truck that probably feels fast. I just grin drink my beer and let'em yap.

I've seen several low 12 second diesel trucks and a few 11s too. Like ricers though most are not that fast.

Yeah there are some fast diesel's out there but I think those guy's in the 11's and 12's have more than a programmer and exhaust. Most the guy's around here just do those 2 things which is all I'd do if I wanted a little more snort.

I think diesel trucks are like our cars...you never know when you may be lined up with a 10 second truck...

Bryan

I have a 2012 Cummins. If you have a nice car I will try and run you for sure. I'll 60 foot and ill catch you sleeping at the light. Its all in fun of course but why not. These damn diesel make monster torque so we have fun till about 60mph.

When I had my 06 Duramax, I used to roll coal with PPE 325 tune and alky. It was fast for a truck. Guessing 12's maybe... It was fun until I found out that a tranny would cost 6k to build. Put Efi live on it with a clean 120 tune and cruised. I had the option at the turn of a dial to go 300 tho.

My trucks trans is either 5k with a 2k core charge and its good for 550 hp or $8,500 with a 2k core charge for 850hp. That doesnt even get you the torque converter.

Last edited:
I just bought an 06 Duramax Crew Cab SLT to tow the car last Saturday. Seems to be totally stock. Never owned a diesel before so I am learning.

Bryan

I just bought an 06 Duramax Crew Cab SLT to tow the car last Saturday. Seems to be totally stock. Never owned a diesel before so I am learning.

Bryan
That's exactly what I had. You bought the best year duramax out there. I miss my truck and will get another some day.
To keep on topic.... I live in diesel country and there is only one 10 sec truck here. Most other trucks know not to mess with a potentially fast car because we have a track right down the road. They all know what they run.
I tell you what tho, I would refuse to get coal rolled on the open road. I wouldn't go out like that.

In the Suburbs of Dallas its Camry's. 40-50 year old guys who probably had a 305 TA or IROC 20-25 years ago who think they all run 15 second 1/4's

I'd say a chipped late-model diesel would smoke the typical third-gen. A 305 TransAm with 20 years of neglect isn't going to beat virtually ANY late model car. Heck, you don't really see that many third-gen cars on the road at all anymore though. I went to both of the biggest junkyards in Springfield, MO yesterday looking for a seat track and there was only ONE third gen between both yards (literally thousands of cars between those two yards too)

Some of these Diesels are nasty for sure! I meet a gentlemen last Friday that was running low low 7's in the 1/8. He came over to check out my blown Jeep SRT8, and we got to talking. His Dodge truck is making over 900hp and 1600 torque! I was blown away!

I once pulled away from a kid in a bolt-ons civic with my 06 dmax while towing my buick. We were pulling out of a toll booth and i heard him mash it... he had a horriffied look on his face when we hit 75 and i let out and he went by :)

My buddy has a 08 lmm duramax hopped up. Last time we went to the track he ran a 12.3 on 35in alterrians.
They can definitely move if done right.

sent from deep within a tomato field

I haven't had my TTA out in a while. Couple a weeks ago I went for a ride around the city. Chicks were whistling and dudes were giving me thumbs up...I guess these rides are becoming recognized, but yeah every car and truck tried to race me.
A kid pulled up to a stop light, had to be like 18 yrs old said he'd always wanted a TTA and mine was the first one he had seen in person. Light turned green and he damn near blew his car up trying to race me.