DIY alco injection

puginfo

>>> hi all, i've got a drawthru root supercharger setup which runs 6psi boost via a weber 45dcoe. I'm looking at introducing some alco in the system as i can't use a intercooler. Would the roots charger (out of a 1ggze toyota motor) survive the alco and water mixture?

I have some parts already for this project ie. 60psi pierberg FI pump, an washer container & 3psi pressure switch . Looking for a suitable nozzle but would a weber jet be okay or do i have to use a fuel injector instead? Will the pump survive the mixture?

Usually i get detonation when the pedal is slammed fast as boost comes in instantly. The CR is 9.0:1 and i built a boost retard on the dizzy but tuning for cold mornings tend to be different than in hot afternoons. The weber is also set to rich. I'm not using any cam retard just yet but might try.

Got some ideas from Steve's site on the setup needed but they are all more towards turbo. The roots is said to have a 10thou clearance between rotors/lobes so not sure of water plus alco. Thks for any help here.

cheers
Ken C.

Good questions.. some of which I cant answer.

If you spray over the carburator it should be ok. The nozzle you use should be a fine spray pattern..so it becomes a mist.

The complete system has to be able to handle alcohol. So the fuel pump, lines, nozzle, etc..have to be alcohol compatible. And typically the pump has to be of high pressure to make the nozzle mist well.

If you put the nozzle under the weber, then there will be a vacuum and you will need a selenoid so that the tank doesnt run dry due to engine vacuum...

Good luck with the project. Its hard enough in this country :)

>>> thks Razor. The 45dcoe weber is a side draft, so i have an front of carb and back of carb option to inject alco. Front of carb, plenty of space, back of carb, i will have to remove a vacuum takeoff cover from the body to introduce the alco via a screw on fitting to that hole.

More prob i see here is the alco/water mixture friendlyness towards tube mild steel manifolds, weber & the s/charger. I have a pic of the setup if someone can host it for me temporarily.

Thks and cheers

remember you are not running alcohol all the time as a primary fuel. Your only using it when under load so the motor sucks it in and burns it. Alcohol when misted doesnt stay on metal very long. It evaporates very quickly. make sense? So damage by contact is minimal if any.

After the carb is a problem becuase of engine vacuum.. it will suck alcohol into the motor. You will require the use of a selenoid.

Julio

>>> yes, it makes sense now that its used only when needed. We have only the 97octane here on pump gas so with pure alco it must do some help. Right then, I will put it all up together and report its effectiveness.

p.s i see some notation in the forum on jet sizes about 0.030ins (about 0.75mm diam) oriface being used. Would a weber jet of say 0.45mm (0.018ins) be good for a starter? Thks again Julio.

cheers

Hi puginfo, where in Malaysia are you located?
My mother was from Malaysia. We used to have a house in Penang back in the mid 1970's. Still have lots of family there that I havent seen in over 10 years (including my grandmother) :( , in a small town called Salama, plus Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore.

Small world. Good luck with the project :)

>>> i live in KL. Steve, thks for the input. Not sure what the cfm is , but the blower has a 1.4ltr displacements per rev. The drive ratio is 1:1 so it would follow engine rpm. I will try the 0.030ins as ball park first. It does 6psi at any rev below 5000 (i don't push further). Most ping is at 2500 to 3000 with plenty of load transfer mostly in the hot noon with engine at operating temp - 80degC(water and oil).

Penang is up north of KL. KL is right smack central. Thks all.

cheers

You will not have any issues running water or alcohol thru the roots SC. It does not spin fast enough to damage the blades. I am running a whipple which is very similar.

gary

You can use a windshield washer tank and pump for the alky. Just make sure the tank is below the nozzle so the liquid doesn't syphon. You don't need a fine nozzle as the carb venturi does a good job atomizing the liquid.

I used this setup on a 82 Mustang 4 cyl. turbo which used a draw through carb. The nozzle was screwed into the air cleaner directly above the carb air horn.

JC Whitney used to sell these water injection units as a kit. It consisted of the tank/pump, an adjustable pressure switch, and the metering valve.

These pumps are tolerant of alky as I ran both methanol and ethanol (along with 5% nitro) through it for a number of years.

>>> hi folks, thks for all the inputs. I have finished constructing the setup using an adjustable type brass nozzle from a high pressure chemical sprayer, powered by a bosch FI pump and a high pressure plastic container. All of that done and can't test yet.

Here's the problem. Visits to local paint shops unvealed that they only sell thinner or spirit. And half of them are not sure what is alco! So is spirit the closet thing to alco? If not, looks like some lab supply dealers should have for a higher price.

Pls help me understand the chemicals involved here as i see ethanol and methanol (how are they related to alco) mentioned here but out in the market these terms seems to be quite unheard. Thks all.

cheers

All of the various solutions mentioned are types of alcohol. Most prefered around here (Turbo Buicks) is Denatured and Methanol. The consensus seems to say they yield the most performance gain. Some including myself have also tried/used Isopropyl alcohol or, as yellow95 mentioned, also referred to as rubbing alcohol. This may be the easiest for you to obtain as it has many everyday uses.
Not sure what the other guys are going to say but I wouldnt be surprised if with your application you could reach your goal with straight water. I know from experience that 100% water stops detonation very well, better than alcohol. Our cars though, just respond very well to the added enrichment from the alchohol, which is not just a knock supressor but a power adder. You most probably will wind up using a mixture of alcohol and water at the least. In fact most who have used water/alcohol injection over the years primarily used the alcohol in the mixture so that the water wouldnt freeze in cold weather. Buick owners are probably the only ones you will find using straight alcohol.
Also, note that the rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) will already come mixed (usually 70% or 90% here).

>>> thks 6sense. I will still look out for the rubbing alco. The prob with straight distilled water is the pump. I use the FI bosch pump. So i'm thinking its safer to mix with alco to avoid pump corrosion.

cheers