diy alchohol kit......no problems

For what it's worth here are some alternative sources or parts that I have used in my own DIY kit.
Nozzles: Mist nozzles from McMaster-Carr. typical PN is 3178K76. They are manufactured by Hago Manufacturing Co., Inc..
http://www.hagonozzles.com/water.shtml
They have a built in filter and a very fine spray pattern. You can even get them with anti drip valves built in. Cost is about $3.50 each

Pressure switches:Adjustable units from ttps://www.alliedelec.com They are made by Hobbs. Typical part number is 611-3021. Cost is $15each. A bit cheaper then the NOS units I have found.

Delivery line: Pre-made NOS line with AN4 fittings on either end. Because I use a 3 gallon tank mounted in the trunk (package tray area) I needed a long line. About $40 from Summit or Jegs.

Pump: I use a fuel injection pump from a VW Rabbit. I yanked it at the local Pick&Pull for $12. This thing has lasted about 1.5 yrs now running Methonal/Water. Not a problem yet.......fingers crossed ;)

I also kicked around a two stage deal. I am using voltage reducing component found on many older (late 80's early 90's) Toyota cars. It looks like a small heatsink with several taps coming out of it. It is used on their fuel pump circuit. Each tap is about 3v. I am using it as an 6v on the fist stage, then 13v on the second. That take two pressure switches.

By the way, that tank is a Jegs unit used in some of the mini drag cars or "Jegsters". It was a bit pricey but a nice 3 gallon unit. $100.

Hey, good stuff, Jeff. Just goes to show with a little experimentation, a great diy kit can be put together for NOT A LOT OF MONEY. Is that Hobbs switch #76052 adjustable? I'm using a #76053 and it's adjustable up to 15#s. They didn't show that part number. Thanks for your input. ;)

Yeah, fully adjustable. The part number I gave has a factory prest at 10psi but you can adjust through the top with an allen wrench.

Hope that helps,

Originally posted by JeffG
Pump: I use a fuel injection pump from a VW Rabbit. I yanked it at the local Pick&Pull for $12. This thing has lasted about 1.5 yrs now running Methonal/Water.

what is the rabbit's spec? i have a mazda rx-7 turbo fuel pump that does 87 gallons per minute [gpm]/209 liter per hour [lph] and was wondering if it's efficient to support water/alcohol injection? (trying low buget)

-mike (newbie)

Don't now what the specs are. It's an external high pressure fuel injection pump. That fit my req. I am sure flow is not an issue with this set up or with the pump you have for that matter. You won't move that much alky through your motor. Pressure on the other hand is pretty important.

Hope that helps,

pressure is good thing then, i have two fuel pumps now, because i just bought me an aftermarket 255 pump for my car and have two stock ones, i'm going wires both of them up to a resivor in my car, i was thinking should i make a RAIL?

rail just like a fuel rail because i might be pumping too much out and with a rail, i can make the excess water/alcohol to come back to my resivor. does that sound right? or should i just find me a water hammer?

One pump is fine. You don't need two. You don't need a feedback because it not an "always on" system. It only comes on when the pressure switch trips.

HTH

Hey you sounded like Gomer Plye there. !! :)

Now let's here your impression of a grumpy old man! :p

60 PSI pump? That doesn't seem like it's going to be making much pressure when you're running 24 pounds of boost? :confused: Anyone care to give me a place where I can find a high pressure pump (like the 150PSI one that guy is talking about on his page), and any recommendations on jet sizing for my dads procharged 427 camaro?

TIM, STEVE, DENIS.............HERE'S THE PERFECT APPLICATION. YOU GUYS GOTTA' TELL THIS GUY ABOUT YOUR HUNDRED AND SOMTHIN' PSI PUMP AND YOUR SUPER MISTING NOZZLES WITH 6 STAGE SOLENOIDS. :cool: LOOKS LIKE HE'S GOING FOR 30#s. WOW!!! DON'T BE VAGUE IN YOUR EXPLANATIONS. :D HIS DAD IS MODIFYING SOME KIND OF FOREIGN CAR AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL HIM OR WHY HE ASKED HERE. :confused: TIM, LAY OUT THE ROAD MAP FOR YOUR THEORETICAL ROCKET SCIENCE OF BASIC ALKY TECH. AND DAVE, DON'T FORGET TO TELL HIM HOW MUCH MONEY YOU SAVE WHEN YA BUY PROPANE AT THE 7-11. :rolleyes:

John, you are an artist whos medium of expression is sarcasm...:)

Grumpy! :p

As blunt (obtuse?) as Red is, he does have a point. This stuff is not rocket science. With the right size nozzles for your motor, and running methanol, you should get excellent results. If you do experience flooding with that motor, a second stage add on will take care of that.

Try this first, it should work fine!

Alchy injection parts list:

Below is the parts list for the Water/Alcohol Injection system that I have built and had great success with. The total of everything below comes to a total of just under $200. Could you go out and buy a different kind of water pump, or use a different nozzle? Of course! But, this setup has been proven many times over. This system is very similar to the higher price offerings out there, but why would you want to spend 2-3 times more when you can do it yourself with the same if not better results?

This system is also VERY similar to what hordes of Turbo Grand National owners have used with great success. I'd like to think that I've put together the best, most economical, and easiest to source parts list.

Water/Alcohol Injection Parts List
Item Vendor Price Notes Picture
Water Pump Northern Tool $59.99 SHURflo #2687 60psi 1.4GPM View Item
There are two nozzles listed below. Choose the nozzle that fits your flow requirements. Start small and work your way up.
Spray Nozzle McMaster Carr $2.50 3178K76 - 6.32gph@40psi View Item
Spray Nozzle McMaster Carr $2.50 3178K77 - 9.49gph@40psi View Item
Brass Fitting Auto Parts Store @$3.00 Brass-Tite! Brand #43033 View Item
Brass Fitting Auto Parts Store @$3.00 Brass-Tite! Brand #43231 View Item
Brass Fitting Auto Parts Store @$3.00 Brass-Tite! Brand #43075 View Item
(5) 3/8" Brass Fittings for pump, water tank & water solenoid Parts Store @$10.00 n/a View Item
Water Solenoid McMaster Carr @$35.00 P/N# 7876K12 Route after the pump, before the nozzle. Assures that NO water will be sucked in until the switch activates and opens the solenoid View Item
Hobbs Pressure Switch Napa Auto Parts $27.00 P/N# 701-1575 This switch IS adjustable! Pop off the rubber cap on one end and adjust away! View Item
Automotive 12V 30 Amp Relay Radio Shack $5.00 P/N# 275-226 View Item
2 Blade Type Fuse Holders Radio Shack $4.00 P/N# 270-1213 View Item
3 pack 20Amp Blade Type Fuses Radio Shack $1.30 (2) P/N# 270-1083 View Item
Lighted On/Off Switch Radio Shack $2.70 (2) P/N# 275-706 View Item
Assorted Electrical Connectors Auto Parts Store @$5.00 n/a No Image
12 Guage Wire Black/Red Auto Parts Store $3.00 n/a No Image
3/8 Fuel Injection Hose & Clamps Auto Parts Store @$10.00 n/a No Image
Small Rubber O-Ring Gasket Auto Parts Store/Home Depot $1.00 To seal any gap between throttle body elbow and nozzle mount. No Image
Denatured Alcohol Home Depot $8.00 n/a View Item
Distilled Water Grocery Store $1.00 n/a No Image
Vacuum Tee Parts Store @$1.00 n/a No Image
Water/Alcohol Tank. Last but not least, this is where you may need to get creative. DSMs aren't known for their underhood space, but with a little creativity you'll have no problem. I simply went to my local "U-pull-it" salvage yard and found a nice jug out of an 80's import that worked perfectly. Cost? $5.00

An alternative is to use your current washer bottle. If doing so, insert a 3/8" fitting into the tank for free flow to the pump.

Great link! http://members.aol.com/raydorman/

The above was found here...http://members.aol.com/raydorman/

Tim, I think you can save $35 and leave that solenoid valve out of the system. I don't have one and I don't have any siphoning goin' on. I have a check valve right off the reservoir (radiator overflow bottle) and a filter right before the Sureflo. I tried eliminating the filter, just a couple weeks ago, and I think it was siphoning because I was using more alky than usual. I replaced the filter and now I'm back to normal. No appreciable siphoning.

First this..

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Congratulations to you and your hundreds of posts telling everyone how well your kit works, but butting in on every thread and telling people they are stupid and wasting their money is a little absurd. Of course this one is your thread so you can put whatever you want in it.

The fact is some people have the money to burn, and are willing to pay for convenience. I say if they want to spend it, let them.

Then this..

Originally posted by Red Regal T
BUTTING IN ON THREADS???.......WHAT ARE TALKING ABOUT? SAY WHAT YOU WANT BUT YOU'RE TOTALLY OUT OF LINE. MY RESPONSES ARE ON TOPIC AND I HAVE A RIGHT TO SAY WHAT I WANT WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. DON'T TRY TO MAKE POINTS BY MAKING UP THINGS I NEVER SAID!!!

And finally, Red Regal T DOES what earlier he vehemently denied..

Originally posted by Red Regal T
TIM, STEVE, DENIS.............HERE'S THE PERFECT APPLICATION. YOU GUYS GOTTA' TELL THIS GUY ABOUT YOUR HUNDRED AND SOMTHIN' PSI PUMP AND YOUR SUPER MISTING NOZZLES WITH 6 STAGE SOLENOIDS...

Well John you got my attention, congrats. But why are you throwing my name around unprovoked? Is this 'on topic'? Who's out of line here?

Oh boy Dennis, Red is going to kick your a$$ on that one! :) :) :)

Ok everyone kick back and enjoy Red's 3 paragraph, CAPITAL LETTERED tirade in which he pulls D-Mans statements apart piece by piece. Dennis, you just rattled the mean-ole-dogs chain and he is about to come running out of his house chew you up like a 2 dollar T-Bone. :p

Ok, there Red you are right the solenoid is not needed. However it comes to me that just by adding a 'Y' connector after the pump, and hooking up another hobbs switch to the solenoid one could have a 2 stage system for right around $200.

I noticed he indicated that this was a water solenoid, so straight Methanol might corrode it. He is prolly running a water mixture of some percentage.

Yep if I was building a system from scratch I'd elliminate the solenoid and just run straight alchy. If you feel the need to go 2 stage that is a good price on the solenoid, and it could be added later if needed.

Pass the A-1 sauce, I'm getting back under my rock...:D

this guy Red Regal T might actually have something worthy to add to these discussions. It's too bad that his childish, immature and silly behavior only uses up bandwidth, distracts the thread and adds negative content.
We've heard Reds "low cost, 60,000 mile" mantra over and over and over again. A check of his posts reveals contridictions and misleading information. His type of dribble babble acting out is borderline Troll and should not be allowed.
The unfortunate bottom line of all this is it makes it difficult for people like Dman to share some innovative and valuable experience with the rest of us.

Originally posted by DMan
First this..

Then this..

And finally, Red Regal T DOES what earlier he vehemently denied..

Well John you got my attention, congrats. But why are you throwing my name around unprovoked? Is this 'on topic'? Who's out of line here?

OH GEES! DID I OFFEND? DON'T CWY........:(

Originally posted by Steve Hill
this guy Red Regal T might actually have something worthy to add to these discussions. It's too bad that his childish, immature and silly behavior only uses up bandwidth, distracts the thread and adds negative content.
We've heard Reds "low cost, 60,000 mile" mantra over and over and over again. A check of his posts reveals contridictions and misleading information. His type of dribble babble acting out is borderline Troll and should not be allowed.
The unfortunate bottom line of all this is it makes it difficult for people like Dman to share some innovative and valuable experience with the rest of us.

LOOK EVERYONE! I'VE OFFENDED THE ELITES. :eek: FROM THOSE FOLKS WHO YOU CAN'T GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER. IN FACT, THEY'RE OFFENDED IF YOU ASK THEM A QUESTION. I STOPPED ASKING THEM WHEN I REALIZED THEIR GOALS, WHATEVER THEY ARE, ARE NOT THE SAME AS MINE.

INITIALLY, I ASKED QUESTIONS. I HAD TO BE PERSISTANT JUST TO GET SOME VAGUE OR SMART ASS ANSWER. YOU OUGHTA KNOW ABOUT DRIBBLE. I'VE READ YOUR POSTS. I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE MUCH TO SHARE.......EXCEPT WITH MR. WIZARD. :p

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT? :rolleyes: I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT. NOBODY ELSE KNOWS EITHER. BUT THAT'S OK.......KNOCK YOURSELF OUT. I'M SURE EVERYONE WILL GET A KICK THAT YOU TAKE OFFENSE THAT I MENTIONED YOUR FIRST NAMES (like as though someone would know who I was referring to).

YES, I'M REPETITIVE ABOUT THE ALKY SYSTEM I USE BECAUSE IT SEEMS, NO MATTER HOW MUCH I BRING IT UP, SOME PEOPLE STILL HAVEN'T HEARD OF IT. I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO BRING IT UP MORE. :( AFTER ALL, MY POSTS ARE CONTRADICTIVE (that's with an "a") AND MISLEADING. :confused: IF YOU WERE'NT SO DAMNED IMPORTANT, YOU COULD HAVE POINTED THAT OUT TO ME. THE PEOPLE I'M TALKING TO ARE THE FOLKS WHO WANT A RELIABLE ALKY SYSTEM FOR NOT A LOT OF MONEY AND WITHOUT ALL THE UNNECESSARY BELLS AND WHISTLES YOU WOULD ADD.....TO WHAT END, WE DON'T KNOW. :D

poor red, did i hurt your feelings? You didn't get tucked into bed last night? Don't cry. Here's an idea: spend more time actually comprehending what has been posted. Maybe you'll get more out of it. Though I doubt that'll work in your case because all you want to do is listen to yourself yak. And yak. And yak.
Oh, that's right. I almost forgot about all those people that haven't heard you yet.
This is the problem: we have decent, informative threads that you tend to hijack for your personal gratification.
It's obvious to me why many of the experienced people have left these boards. I say, "grow up".