Direct Scan problem?

Tim Barnum

I installed the Direct Scan on my computer. Then when I try to run the program it keeps saying the computer is not connected to the direct scan. I used a USB adapter to connect the Direct Scan. All of the ports are turned on and working on the computer. What do i need to do? Thanks, Tim

DirectScan problem

Tim, I think you are having the same problem I did with the software. DirectScan runs on DOS and there are problems with Windows 98 and up conflicting with the software trying to run under Windows and on DOS. I finally looked for and found an old Globalyst 250 laptop (thanks to John Jackson) and am running my 1.52 version on that laptop with nothing else on it. Dedicated to logging runs only. Only other solution I know of is using another scanner that is newer and will run under Windows. I just got mine working and am happy with it. 8 runs and I have picked up at least 50 hp. Night and day. Hope this helps. Drew

Directscan problem

Tim, also check out the answers to Buickruss post below. There are more answers there on the DirectScan. I only use computers and hate when something goes wrong. Especially TurboDave's answers. Wouldn't hurt to try. Also the cleaning of the ECM contacts has to be really bright and shiny. I tried fingernail polish remover and finally lacquer thinner. Both with Q-Tips. Drew

I agree to double check those contacts. Also you will need a machine running Windows 98 or older. They will also have the 25 pin parallel port. I did try several Compaq machines which never ran right, If it connects but does not read proper numbers try the directions for booting direct to the program

I installed the Direct Scan on my computer. Then when I try to run the program it keeps saying the computer is not connected to the direct scan. I used a USB adapter to connect the Direct Scan. All of the ports are turned on and working on the computer. What do i need to do? Thanks, Tim

USB adapter?? DS only runs on WIN98SE or older. DS can't/wont run on a USB line. The cable that runs from the computer to the DS box MUST plug into the parallel printer port and nothing else.
I'm having difficulty even visualizing how you got a USB adapter to parallel printer cable????

Directscan problem

Guys, Dave is right, the parallel port is the key to this problem. You need to get an older laptop with the parallel port and Windows '98 and older. I couldn't get Windows '98 to work, but I hate computers. Radio Shack has cables that will connect to the DirectScan connector and then to a USB port, but if you have a USB port on your computer, it is too new to work anyway. Drew

Thanks for all the replys. I have a computer with the 25 pin port but, it won't work with the Direct Scan either it has Windows 2000 on it. I did get to use a older computer a friend had and it works but, I have to give it back to him soon. Maybe i should have Windows 95 loaded on my laptop?

Thanks for all the replys. I have a computer with the 25 pin port but, it won't work with the Direct Scan either it has Windows 2000 on it. I did get to use a older computer a friend had and it works but, I have to give it back to him soon. Maybe i should have Windows 95 loaded on my laptop?

You should be able to find a cheap older laptop with WIN98 on it. That's what you need to run it best.

What does XP have or not have that makes direct scan unusable? Also why does not USB converters work? Just wondering if there is something that a hardware guru can make up some kind of converter box or something to make it work on older computers?

What does XP have or not have that makes direct scan unusable? Also why does not USB converters work? Just wondering if there is something that a hardware guru can make up some kind of converter box or something to make it work on older computers?

Direct scan is coded to use the parallel printer port.

I use Direct Scan with Windows 2000. Just book from the Disk.
There is a thread on here that instructs how to do it.
I'm looking at upgrading my laptop and wondering if the USB to 25 Pin adapter would work.

No. I don't know of any newer computers that even have a parallel printer port, which is the only thing DS knows how to use, and also no, Direct Scan will not run on the newer operating systems.