Digital cluster reinstallation

bryanheffernan

So I had my cluster out chasing some wiring issues and now that they have been resolved I'm putting the dash back together.

Only thing giving me an issue right now is getting the cluster to seat in its "craddle". I can't seem to get the cluster and the black wiring connector to mate properly.

The cluster works and lights up but I'm getting a " - - " on the fuel gauge. Everything worked fine before I removed it.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone have any tricks?

usually when I've had the "--" on the fuel gage, GN digital cluster, it's been the sending unit in the tank that crapped out, I'm on my 3rd one. if you have the FSM, it's pretty straightforward to troubleshoot before you have to take drastic actions (e.g. drop the tank).

incidentally, the sending unit for the digital cluster is different than the sending unit for the analog fuel level gauge. the sending unit doesn't seem to hold up very well to gas with ethanol.

if you have to get to the sending unit, you might as well replace your fuel pump, cuz if your sending unit is crapped out (corroded away), your fuel pump is next. I had my injectors, fuel pump, sending unit all crap out within a couple months timeframe. yes I swapped out the filter at the same time.