Help! One last connector to digital dash won't come out!

GoldHawg

I am changing out clusters for a new dakota digital retrotech unit and I have one connector on the digital dash cluster that absolutely refuses to move, and I'd really like not to break the unit getting it out. The VSS wires had a small nut holding it in, but I can't feel anything that should be holding it in, but severe pulling isn't getting it out. Any tricks? See pic.

Attachments

• IMG_4067.jpg
    IMG_4067.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 74
First off let me preface that I'm not familiar with the digital cluster, HOWEVER I've taken my analog out many times. Can't be THAT different.

Look/feel if there may be a 1/4" screw holding it in. I know on the analogs, the VSS has the 1/4" screw holding them in. I would try to unplug the other end under the dash that way you can pull the cluster out & get a good look. Then just re-plug it in if needed.

Last edited:
First off let me preface that I'm not familiar with the digital cluster, HOWEVER I've taken my analog out many times. Can't be THAT different.

Look/feel if there may be a 1/4" screw holding it in. I know on the analogs, the VSS has the 1/4" screw holding them in. I would try to unplug the other end under the dash that way you can pull the cluster out & get a good look. Then just re-plug it in if needed.
I got a mirror in and verified that there is not screw holding it in. I took a picture of a possible tab on the bottom (sorry, hard to see) that is recessed in deeper than the back of the cluster. I also see a sticker on the cluster that it was serviced in 1992; I suppose it's possible they broke off the tab while servicing? I've put a small screwdriver in (awkwardly) and pushed up on that w/no success.
As for the wires, they go into the main loom; there is no disconnecting possible.

Attachments

• IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 74