Digital Camera

86 TR

Work In Progress
Ok here it is.. I'm fairly new to this computer thing and I want to buy a digital camera but have no clue what camera I should buy???

I Don't know what megapixels are or stuff like that??

I'm gonna learn sooner or later..

Any suggestions on what camera to buy??

Sorry I feel stupid for asking but have to start somewhere..:confused:

the higher the megazixles the better resalution the pic it will take. my wife and daughter have a pentax and my son has a kodak. all 3 are really good cameras, and small so you can just slide it into your pocket and go. mine is a nikon d70s. more of a professional camers like the old 35mm were. the ones like my wife and kids have only run 200-300 and take real good pics. dave

I have a Kodak and I like it. It is 3 years old and is 5 megapixels. Works great for me and the software is easy to learn. My sister has a little Nikon that takes awesome pictures but it is to small for me.

Jason

Here is a really good site, chock full of info as well as a buying guide.

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

I currently have a Sony DSC-S600.
Sony DSC-S600 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

sony_dscs600.gif

Price was hard to beat at $199.00 at Best Buy. I bought it last year before the Nationals. Have since taken over 600 photos with it. Great little camera with 6 megapixels, and the capability to take video. Only downside about the video function is you can not zoom while taking video. But for pics, it is awesome. It also has a Carl Zeiss/ Vario-Tessar lens. I believe it might have been discontinued by Sony for their new model line, but I have been very happy with all of Sony products in the past. A lot of people like Canon, but I find the image editing software that comes with the Sony, as well as the Memory Stick Pro Duo compatibility with most printers a major plus.
HTH

Patrick

I was looking for a new digital camera a while back so did some research. Ended up with a Canon A540. Has a large 2x1.5" screen AND an optical view finder. This is important because you don't need to fire up the screen and use up battery power. It starts up pretty quick and takes really good pics for the price. But I think most do now a days. Don't get caught up in the whole more is better mega pixel thing. That is unless you're going to be blowing up your pics to more the 8x10 or so. :D

Thanks guys...

Now I know if I can run a computer I can use a digital camera....

I'm going to best buy tomorrow I'll have to check out the cameras they have!!

I got a Sony DSC-W50 for Christmas, it takes great pictures even on lower resolution 2meg. :cool:

Big display, rechargable battery (expensive to replace or for a spare), good zoom and lens, strong case.

I like it so far, they have a simple get started brochure too if you don't want to read the manual. ;)

I have a Sony DSC-W100. 8.1 Megapixels. Before that I had a 4.1 Sony. I've always liked their cameras. I'm interested in trying one with the "still-shot" technology that supposedly compensates for shakey hands or pictures of moving objects. Many times on my new camera a picture will look good on the little LCD screen but then when I open it on my home PC I find that it came out really blurry.

We just purchased a Canon 8.0 meg digital SLR. We first tried the smaller pocket size camera and it worked well. We took it on vacation to HI, but when we returned, there was a spot on the lens that needed cleaning and it would cost half the price of the camera. So we stepped up to SLR. We had a Tamron 20-200 lens that we used on a Canon EOS 35mm and that lens works on our SLR. The newest SLR from Canon is a 10.1 meg and 8.1 with image stabilizer. If you don't need the viewfinder on the screen, you can probably get a Canon 8.0 SLR in the high $400s to low $500s. It all depends on what you want. But if you're used to 35mm with changeable lenses, then step up to SLR and never look back, cause you may be disappointed with the pocket digital cameras.

We just purchased a Canon 8.0 meg digital SLR. We first tried the smaller pocket size camera and it worked well. We took it on vacation to HI, but when we returned, there was a spot on the lens that needed cleaning and it would cost half the price of the camera. So we stepped up to SLR. We had a Tamron 20-200 lens that we used on a Canon EOS 35mm and that lens works on our SLR. The newest SLR from Canon is a 10.1 meg and 8.1 with image stabilizer. If you don't need the viewfinder on the screen, you can probably get a Canon 8.0 SLR in the high $400s to low $500s. It all depends on what you want. But if you're used to 35mm with changeable lenses, then step up to SLR and never look back, cause you may be disappointed with the pocket digital cameras.

I went with the NIkon D50 digital SLR w/ Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. Best pictures I ever took.

Look on E-bay for good prices on new cameras. I bought my personal camera (nikon coolpix 4200) 2-3 years ago on ebay from Cameta Camera. I got a carrying case (goes on your belt) a 256 card, tripod, and several other little things for less than what all your retail store carry the camera for, and I got a 3 year nationwide warrenty. Meaning I could take it to any camera store that carried Nikon cameras.

I did a lot of research before buying the camera. It can shoot 640x480 video, zoom while doing video and shoot video until the card is full. At the time these were 3 options that I wanted and no other reasonbly priced camera could do it. I wanted a very small point and shoot camera for the simple fact that I could stick it in my pocket and carry it anywhere. The SLR cameras are not so user friendly and they're big.

At work I have a Nikon D200. Its an awesome camera, but its big. I'd never take it on vacation or out on an adventure (fishing, camping, ATVing etc).

Kodak Easyshare Z612! It's being phased out so hurry. It's got 6.1 mp, 12x optical zoom, movie mode, image stabilization, and 2.5" LCD screen. Last price I saw was $209 @ Office Depot... I never pulled the trigger on it because my old Kodak DC290 is still taking great pix.

first you have to decide if you want a larger camera that will most likly have more features, well maybe not that much more, but probally have more zoom. I have a oly 5050 zoom. its 5 mp and long been discontinued. its awesome, but this is moot you probally cant find one, if you can get one, it has one of the best lenses you can get on a digital camera, even now, I bought it 5 years ago. well its a little big and we wanted something a bit smaller. we just picked up a canon sd630, its fantastic, I always liked the digital elphs. my step brother had one at christmas and we had to get one. its 6 mp has 3x zoom, standard for a small camera, and heres the big thing, its got a 3in lcd. that was the kicker its terrific, taked great pics also and has almost all the features my oly has, and that was 800 when I bought it. I highly recommend it if you can find it, there being clearanced at the moment, have no idea why either, I dont believe any of the other canons have the 3in lcd. you will go into the store and be dazzled with 8 and 10 mp cameras, dont buy into it. unless youre going to be making posters your just spending more money. even 3 or 4 mp makes great 4X6s. 5 will go to 8X10 barly I think and 6 is fine for it. the fact is you really cant find a camera now adays thats under 5mp thats not a total budget piece, so you sould be good with just about anything. Id definitly stay away from HP, there not so good. stick with olympus, nikon or canon and you should be fine. the sonys are good, but ive never liked them. as for the editing software, spend 50 dollars and get photoshop elements and it will smoke any stock box software you get with any camera. taked a look at the sd630, if you can find one, there running around 265 clearanced, maybe less some places, you will not be dissapointed, I promise you.