Digital Camera Recs...

BoostKillsStres

TIRE-FRYER VIA HAIR-DRYER
I was thinking of getting a fairly nice unit and was going to check cnet.com and zdnet.com and dpreview.com and was wondering any other sites I should check and camera options most important.

TIA

Here's something to consider:

I was thinking of getting a good quality camera. I wanted something greater than 3.0 mpixels and at least 3x optical zoom. I'm talking about > $500.00 because I wanted to make almost photographer quality pictures like I do with my 35mm. I hadn't started any research as I wasn't ready to spend that kind of cash.

Out of the blue, the wife bought me a Casio for Christmas. It is 2.0 mpixels, and no optical zoom. It's a camera I would have never personally considered. Here's the deal, it is super small. I'm talking if you stack about 8 credit cards together, that's how big it is. I used it all day on Christmas day and decided to keep it! It takes good pictures (not great) and I can carry it all the time and anywhere with no hassle. I even took it snow skiing. I bought a memory card and it holds 60 1200x1600 pictures (best quality) and hundreds at average quality.

I just picked up this week an Olympus Camedia C-50. It is a 5 megapixel camera and very small. Takes great pictures.

I got a Sony Mavica CD last Fall. I love it! It is *not* small, but I like that. It's about as big as my Pentax K1000 (don't laugh, it's been good to me!). It is probably the most versatile, easy to use, ease of image transfer camera out there. You do pay for it in speed. I keep mine on highest resolution with an additional write for email size pic's. That means saving 2 images of the same picture. That makes it slow. Using lower resolution and/or not adding the email sized image will speed it up dramatically. It uses mini disks, I keep a few re-writable disks and haven't used anything else. It'll hold a LOT of pictures on a disk, over 100 at high res w/the email secondary image. Mine is a 2.0 megapixel, it has printed out very good qualitiy 4x6's and 5x7's, with cropping down and blowing up some. Larger would be a bit grainy up close. There is a 4 megapixel version, but you do pay for the convenience. ISO equivalent up to 400, which some are only 100, can take video limited only by disk space. Several minutes if you want, with sound, or gif's, low light with or w/o flash and longer exposure times. Does have a rapidfire 3 exposure at a time feature. With Win XP, it's plug and play. Large LCD screen. Battery lasts a long time, the camera displays remaining battery time.

Drawbacks: price, size/weight, speed, no look-through viewfinder.

Amazing what you can do with 5 megapixels! I got a Sony DSC-F707 5-mpxl for xmas, but unlike the very small Olympus C-50, this camera is very LARGE! Has a large Carl Zeiss lens, 5x optical + 2x digital zoom, you can take fully automatic pics, or you have shutter-speed priority, aperture priority, or full manual mode...has 3 white-level settings, adjustable or automatic ISO settings, adjustable exposure correction, has voice+pics, 3 shot burst with or without exposure changes, laser focusing in low light, infrared for night framing and/or night shooting, does 15 frame film clips, has 3 modes of shooting MPEG video, takes pics in JPEG or uncompressed TIF formats...

you'd never guess I'm VERY impressed with this camera! If you're "into" photography, you'll love this camera! :D

I use a Nikon Coolpix 5000 at work. This thing is the most versitile camera that I have ever used. I can send the files to our digital photo lab and get back awesome 16x20 prints with zero pixelation. I'm not going to get into the details about this camera, there are way too many features. I have a 256 meg card in it, and at the highest resolution on high quality it will take over 100 pics (2560 x 1920). Put it on Fine quality and I only get 17 pics, but they are 15 meg files. I also have a battery pack, so I can use the rechargable battery or the pack which holds 6 AA batteries.

I have a Sony DSC-P7 3.2 Megapixel. Its quite small and takes very nice pictures. The Sony interface is much simpler to understand than most. From Dpreview.com I checked the colour tests and found Sony and Canon to be the most faithful for Reds and Magentas. I especially love taking short Mpegs with sound. I never use the camcorder anymore.

I just bought a olypus C4000 , 4.0 meg pixel with a 128 card ....I m still waiting to receive it actually, just ordered friday night....

$408 shipped to the door.....

Check it out.....for the $ it looks hard to beat.....

Single Lens Reflex cameras in digital format, what will equal film resolution?

FEBRUARY 2003'S _POPULAR PHOTOGRAPHY_ has a couple good articles on this subject. Exactly this subject.

To my eye, it will take between 5 and 9 megapixels to equal ISO 100 film. Of course, I've used ASA 25 or ASA 64 for 35 years....So, its gonna take a while yet to get an affordable SLR in digital format that will do what the Kodacolor or Kodachrome has done so well for a long time.

Until recently a good digital Single Lens Reflex camera was as much as a new Mustang Cobra. Now, the first Digital SLR approaching equality with traditional film resolution and balance is the Cannon EOS-1D, at $9k....According to this magazine's performance tests, the Sigma SD9 is the Lowest priced digital SLR camera (at $1,700), and the Cannon EOS Rebel Ti the best budget priced digital SLR (guessing its under $2,000).

forget all the other sites mentioned above THIS IS THE SITE.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

that guy has reviews of nearly every camera. not only that but they are about 50 times more indepth than cnet can imagine.

i would suggest a canon ELPH.. size does matter and smaller cameras are just easier to take with you everywhere and not even notice it. plus if someone attacks you or your wife, you can hold it by the cord and sling it at them and most likely crack their skull. my girlfriend was standing behind me holding it while i was sitting on a couch, dropped it on my head from about 2ft.. ouch. i had a huge ass welt on the top of my head for a few days.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/s230.html

it also has a movie mode.. and you will use this far more than you think. its so cool to make little 640x480 movies of your car.. think about it, you can capture every pass at the track on film!