Diffrence between direct scan and scanmaster.

gnis2quick

Im in the market for a scan tool so that i can tune my gn motor correctly. now im confused on whats the diffrence between a scanmaster and a directscan. Can someone please explain the diffrence. if this has been covered before please just forward me the link thanks.

DS updates at up to 18 frames per second....... so you get 200+ data points on a run........

SM .... updates like once every few seconds..... sux for someone really wanting to look close at data.....

DS takes a laptop......

SM doesn't

DS is my favorite.......

SM is probably adequate for a daily driver... that only occasionally tinkers with it......

DS does everything quicker... and much more....just requires a laptop... that is it's only downfall...... oh.... and the laptop needs win 95 or 98.... it doesn't usually work with win2k or xp.....

HTH

And DS can record and play back frame by frame displaying all of the sensor values. SM only keeps the highest and lowest values of each parm.

I cant wait for the logger to come out. Prolly get it around winter time so I have plenty of time to mess with it before the racing starts!

Jason

TurboDave said:
Bob! With the power logger comming, that's awsome. Now, if I could just get you talked into moving here. ;)
Remember, LOT'S of huge medical establishments for "you know who". ;)

We have vacationed in Sevierville twice, and Deb wants to live there.

It looks like it will be a few years before we can make it happen tho.

B

It will connect to the edge connector in the ECM. The Scanmaster will connect to the Power Logger. If you want to have a display for time when you don't want to carry a laptop
Mike

Mike,
When do you expect to have the logger ready for sale ? Has a price been determined ?

we are looking at about 6 to 8 weeks, no final price but it will be competitive with other available products. We will post it as soon as we finalize it
Mike

Mike Licht said:
It will connect to the edge connector in the ECM. The Scanmaster will connect to the Power Logger. If you want to have a display for time when you don't want to carry a laptop
Mike

Do you mean the same way as a Direct Scan?

Will it still need all that shielding that the DS needs?

Absolutly NOT. That is why I said in the same place and not in the same way :) . Make no mistake, DS is a great product but it has a few shortcomings. The fact that it will only runs on unsupported operating systems and no USB connections are issues that in our opinion should be addressed. There is also some room for new features as well. We hope to address everyones needs once and for all and provide the best scan tool possible for our cars.
Mike

Yes, Direct Scan is a good product. But the DOS mode and way it connects needs help. Good to hear about your new product. Maybe run a new product special. ;) I will be on the lookout for when the product is released.

Mike Licht said:
Absolutly NOT. That is why I said in the same place and not in the same way :) . Make no mistake, DS is a great product but it has a few shortcomings. The fact that it will only runs on unsupported operating systems and no USB connections are issues that in our opinion should be addressed. There is also some room for new features as well. We hope to address everyones needs once and for all and provide the best scan tool possible for our cars.
Mike

Mike, give me a call when you've got one ready to go and have some pricing in mind. I love DS, but with no upgrades, and having to use unsupported OS's is getting old.