Differential leaking....

cecil bass

I have noticed that my differential is leaking from the drive shaft side.... what is the seal from this side called and where can I get one from? ...... Also what parts would I need to get it rebuilt and where is best place to get them? I was thinking to rebuilt it anyway cause I don't think it has ever been freshened up. The option it has is G-80.... Whatever that means :rolleyes: or if it matters in the quest of finding parts....... Thanks in advance!!!

If your posi is working, leave it alone. They can take a lot of abuse

Bryan

If your pinion seal is leaking do not leave it alone. Replace it or you will end up with no diff fluid, than the posi really won't work

I did mine with a timken gasket and I replaced the bearing while I was in there, only because I dicked it up getting the gasket out. RTV the outside of the gasket when you reinstall. Helps with further leaks. And mark the nut and count how many turns you took to take it off. Do the same to reinstall and line up the marks.

There's a few videos on YouTube that will help. It's fairly straight forward

Autozone (or any parts store) sells them.

Mine was leaking to the point where it was slinging dif fluid. I caught it early tho.

Another tip for you. Either get a cover with a top fill hole and replace the whole dif cover at the same time, or, buy a small fluid pump. I was foolish and tried to get the fluid into the stock fill hole using just the container. Total PITA.

Put a posi additive in first then fill with dif fluid to the bottom of the stock fill hole.

OK I looked on rock auto and see this timken gasket... is it the correct one?
TIMKEN Part # 8610 
{Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} 
Rear; 7.5" R.G., 7.63" R.G.