Difference in blocks?

Stroker-ace

Boosted-brick
Whats the differences in the blocks between the actual turbo-regal/ GN block and the N/A regals? and can a N/A block be made to work in a turbo car? I have a spare 3.8 N/A block in my shed and want to know what i can do with it.

Only difference is oil drain for turbo. Block needs to be drilled not biggie. Check the casting #s to make sure it is a 109 block.

Well, I would not say the only difference in the turbo / non turbo blocks is the hole for the oil drain back.

If you take a look at the oil valley area in a non turbo block, you will notice that it is very similar in appearance to an old small block chevy for example.

The oil valley in a turbo block is cast solid with reinforcing ribs. 2 or 3 holes are machined in the oil valley to allow oil to return down to the pan.

As far as I know, the compesition of the iron is also different.

There may be other differences as well, but it has been a while since I had two side by side.

In summary, the oil valley in the turbo block is significally stronger.

Sorry, I should have also pointed out that these differences I pointed out are in regards to a non 109 block.

This has been beat to death.......the 109 is machined differently in the lifter galley area and has a boss for a turbo drain back......also the 109's head bolts are not threaded all way to the deck and some of the older NA blocks had a different deck height .........as far as strength, they are the same........if you have a nice NA 3.8 and don't have to go looking for a 109......use it and put good guts in it and you will be equal with any 109 with the same guts.

so which cars other than the turbo reglas/Gn's came with 109 blocks? and how do i tell if mine is a 109? i got the engine from an 86 regal at the pick and pull.

109's can be found in other 86/87 N/A RWD Buick as well. So if those years (86/87) have a RWD V6 Buick, it's a 109 block, period. They are found in other brand as well, example rwd V6 Pontiac, etc

1986/1987 years, a 109 is a 109, makes no difference if it came from a turbo car or a N/A car. The boss is there for the return line it just needs to be tapped.

Lifter valleys are different on 85 and back, including head bolt holes threaded all the way to the top of deck.....

In 1985 Mid year the older style blocks was redesigned to have a 20 bolt oil pan rail and had a little taller deck but still a different block that the 86/87 109 block.

So if you are looking for a 109, search out rwd 86/87 v6's

If you go on gnttype.org, under "resources", select photo guide, and there are some good pics of engine blocks. You will see in one photo where the casting number with 109 at the end is.:)

109's can be found in other 86/87 N/A RWD Buick as well. So if those years (86/87) have a RWD V6 Buick, it's a 109 block, period. They are found in other brand as well, example rwd V6 Pontiac, etc

1986/1987 years, a 109 is a 109, makes no difference if it came from a turbo car or a N/A car. The boss is there for the return line it just needs to be tapped.

Although on a 109 N/A block didn't they used a different material made crank as opposed to the turbo ones?

Thanks for all the info guys. I plan on using forged internals so the block was the only part I wasnt sure about! thanks again.

The block in my race car is a 109 from an 87 N/A car...I built the motor myself and it is identical to the blocks that came in the turbo cars...except for the turbo drain hole...I have 150+ runs on this block in the 10.4-10.6 129-131 MPH range and it's still running strong...

Nope same material just an extra process for the turbo crank, rolled fillets to the crank journals.

Ah ok...was thinking for some reason the turbo 109 engines came with steel cranks and the n/a 109's came with cast cranks.

Ah ok...was thinking for some reason the turbo 109 engines came with steel cranks and the n/a 109's came with cast cranks.

They are both cast nodular iron and the same casting #. They are equally good (or bad)from 78-89. All 4.1's and 3.8 turbos had the rolled radius on the rods. Later ones are not stringer. Production blocks are weaker than a stock crank.