Diet drinks and aspartame...

turboG

never enough....
OK, whats everybody's take on the aspartame thing? I have read that it causes memory loss, weight gain, lymphomas, brain tumors, high blood pressure, vision loss and other things. Never really thought about it as I have been drinking diet drinks since early 90's. Trying to cut out on sugar was the reason for it. Now I can hardly drink regular soda as they taste like syrup. I have started drinking the diet green tea the last few months, but its got aspartame in it also.:mad: I drink lotsa water in the summer and try to drink it in the winter, but for me its harder to do in the winter months.

Lemme know what you guys think about artificial sweeteners.....

I think our government secretly makes food and drink manufacturers put cancerous substances in everything to control population.

Quite honestly I'm trying not to drink as much soda as per say and I'm drinking more juices, punches, and lemonades. Water is nice too but its tasteless! People who say they can "taste" water are crazy.

Stay away from those flavored waters. They have lots of sugar in them and they are very acidic and will rot your teeth. I try not to drink soda more than once a week. It's plain water most of the time for me and of course a beer or 2 especially with pizza.;)

OK, whats everybody's take on the aspartame thing? I have read that it causes memory loss, weight gain, lymphomas, brain tumors, high blood pressure, vision loss and other things. Never really thought about it as I have been drinking diet drinks since early 90's. Trying to cut out on sugar was the reason for it. Now I can hardly drink regular soda as they taste like syrup. I have started drinking the diet green tea the last few months, but its got aspartame in it also.:mad: I drink lotsa water in the summer and try to drink it in the winter, but for me its harder to do in the winter months.

Lemme know what you guys think about artificial sweeteners.....

Run; do your research; never drink aspartame:eek:

Even though the aspartame thing has been "debunked" by websites like Snopes it still wouldn't surprise me if it was worse for you than regular sugar. Maybe not in terms of weight gain but in overall health. Frankly the FDA saying it's safe doesn't mean much to me, they can say whatever they want and claim it's "the truth".

Everything in moderation, so they say. Drinking regular Coke a few times a week won't make you gain 50lbs, and drinking a few diet drinks won't have tumors sprouting from your brain next Tuesday. Overdoing either of them is probably not good.

I try to drink fruit juice. Yes it still has sugar in it but I figure if I'm gunna have a drink with 30g of sugar and the choice is between fruit juice and Coke... juice would be better.

Water is okay on its own but I need something flavored to drink with a meal.

Trying to figure out health based on what the "experts" say is pointless.

Coffee is good, coffee is bad.
Wine is good, wine is bad.
Carbs are good, carbs are bad.

it's probably not good for you ......... but (according to the experts) what is?! add it to the list of everything else that's supposed to kill you ......... meat, veggies, milk, bottled water, the sun, cell phones, memory foam mattresses, etc :p .

Isn't it really unforunate that the human race can't even do a better job figuring out what's good for our own health...

I am allergic to that crap, gives me miagraine headaches.....hard core gotta sleep off kind. Sugar is far safer than most artificial sweetners and time proven to only rot your teeth....add a lil weight, lead to obesity, diabetes, strokes and other illnesses. How bad is that? I say stick w/ good ole sugar!

It is the first thing I recommend patients stop drinking if I'm treating them for headaches. I don't think cancer and more chronic diseases are likely but there have been studies showing a link to neurological problems with aspartame. Diet drinks are also linked to weight gain and that has been pretty well documented. When counseling someone on weight lose I usually tell avoid anything diet or low fat all together.