Diesel oil?

some people swear by rotella.
i used it last oil change. 15/40,
changed a bunch of other things at the same time so cant comment on how it runs vs regular oil.

Im using chevron delo in two cars 50k miles no problems-power is always there-plus walmart sells it for $10. a gallon.

kirban 2 cents worth

We got a tech brief stating why you don;t want to be putting diesel oil in your turbo regal...........even if it was free.

One reason the ppm of zdd has been reduced now in diesel also....several years ago magazine writers recommended it because zddp was being reduced in olfor gas engines....dieseloils have stuff for soot control not something you want.

We are now picking up diesel truck places that are starting to see problem sin older diesels because of the new oil similar to what we have seen 1 - 2 years ago starting with cam problems in gas motors.

If you must look for the cheapest oil on the shelf stick with oil for a gas engine and simply ad zddplus with every oil change.

the damage is gradual and its not reversable for those that fail to see that you need zddp in proper levels to stop wear issues..

Go to isky or crower cams websites or ours....kirbanperformance.com I think if you click on the bottle of zddplus the tech briefs appear click on the one that deals with diesel oils...both isky and crower have been in the business 50 years or longer. Also Erson cams we did a private label for them.

kirban

member zddplus has been brought to market by a buick owner that has the largest turbo regal collection anywhere.

Ask any engine rebuilder....if you want a second opinion.....

kirban

Breaking my new engine in on rotella straight 30 it has a roller cam...

kirban 2 cents worth

We have proof from a engine builder that does 1,000 hp race motors zddplus shows singificant reduction in wear issues with roller set ups...he tears them down.....

not sure what api rating your rotella is you are using but if its the current stiff ppm of zddp as been reduced .....if you are building a HP engine roller or not and want to eliminate any possible problems whatever you do better make sure it has 1,500 - 1,800 ppm of zddp...not jus zinc as some oils claim as that doe snot form the molecule zddp....wear is not something that can be reversed once it is started..

Richard had the oil tested in a 400 mile 2006 ZO6...that break in oll hd 3,000 ppm of zddp in it....at 400 miles I doubt it was broken in and the Mobile that was thenput in has 600-800 ppm.....quite a drop....

kirban

But you can run diesel oil 15W40 with ZDDPlus and be ok, correct?

kirban 2 cents worth

ppm would be where it needs to be...the issue is, diesel oil has stuff you don't want in your gas engine for soot control etc....I don't have the tech info handy....

I don;t quite understand why you don't want to use the oil available for gas engines that the car calls for on your visor label...and just ad zddplus...oil is the life line of your engine....

just my thoughts....

kirban

didnt realize the soot control issue.
rotella has like no zinc in it anymore anyways.
will go back to regular oil next oil change.

kirban 2 cents worth

ppm would be where it needs to be...the issue is, diesel oil has stuff you don't want in your gas engine for soot control etc....I don't have the tech info handy....

I don;t quite understand why you don't want to use the oil available for gas engines that the car calls for on your visor label...and just ad zddplus...oil is the life line of your engine....just my thoughts....kirban

The newest Rotella, it changed about 2 years ago, has lesss zddp than the old stuff, and more "soot control" additive.

Since it is for diesel use, it is made for low RPM operation, and has lots of detergent for soot control, which you do NOT want in a high performance turbo engine.:mad:

Dennis is right on with his recommendation.:)

Speaking of DELO only, they have two of them, they still do carry they old
formula which can be bought in 5gal. buckets on up, bulk only, now they
make this wonderful new formula per our friendly EPA for the low emission
diesels out their, the new diesel trucks, walk in to any place that sells DELO, and all you will find is the LE oil, which you need to say away from, it has the golden low emissin label on it, they do say it is backwards compatible, take it for what it is worth.HTH

Ron

The newest Rotella, it changed about 2 years ago, has lesss zddp than the old stuff, and more "soot control" additive.

Since it is for diesel use, it is made for low RPM operation, and has lots of detergent for soot control, which you do NOT want in a high performance turbo engine.:mad:

When I was using Rotella, everytime I pulled the dipstick, there were tiny bubbles in the oil. I stock a few gallons of Rotella in my house for my 7.3L Powerstroke. I was speaking with a very, very, very technical/engineer based engine builder who contacted Shell concerning using Rotella in gas engines. Shell stated that Rotella is designed for low rpm engines.

I have switched over to Brad Penn and no more bubbles in the oil.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

...the issue is, diesel oil has stuff you don't want in your gas engine for soot control etc...

Calcium is used as a detergent in diesel oils (HDEO) to combat this. The problem is, the high level of calcium competes with the adherance Zn and Ph to metal on a molecular level and thus hinders their anti-wear effect.

Delo is actually fairly low in calcium, relative to other HDEO's.