Diagnosis help on new turbo low boost problem

kgouldsk

Kevin GNCrazy
Right before I left Kansas to drive to Ye Olde Greate White North, I put on a brand new TE52, new injectors and the orange stripe. When I first put it in, it whupped up to 25-26 lbs in a shot, no problem. Dialed down to around 18 lbs or so.

Drove 1200 miles to Saskatchewan, parked for 2+ months, then another 900 miles to BC. Parked the car with a friend, and I've had it out for 3 weekends, never raced, just a few spirited runs in the limited space available here. I probably had it up to 110 mph once during the trip up to Sask. Ran it for maybe 10 short bursts in Sask to show off to my dad.

When I had it out here in BC this weekend, I was comparing response to my friend's te44 equipped Buick and realized performance had dropped. As well, I have occasional smoke when I come to a stop at a light. Before I dropped it off for storage Tuesday, I leaned on it hard, and looked at the boost, which I hadn't been paying attention to. 15lbs. Cranked up the wastegate. Still 15lbs.

Damn. I'm getting suspicious of the oil supply to the turbo....no unusual noise, but there is a bit of oil at the outlet of the turbo. Is it possible for the turbo to be bad from the get go? Or is my oil supply bad? Pressure is great. Would I notice a dramatic drop in boost pressure like that without hearing noise? I didn't put new lines on when I replaced the turbo.

How can I test whether there's oil flowing when under pressure? Take off the return line and plug the hole in the block, then use a catch can? How fast is fast enough?

Help me out guys, I'm stumped and I don't want to wreck 700 bucks worth of brand new turbo. That's less than 2500 miles!

Thanks,
Kevin