Destroking - Facts or fiction

Yes, was aware of the benefits of reduced piston speed. Curious how much destroke and RPM others are saying is the ticket. I'm assuming Jerry started this thread based on another recent thread where destroking was said to be the way to go. Like Jerry I'm looking for potential benefits beyond what conventional thinking tells us.

To realize the benefits.. you need to
Think beyond just the engine.. thats only part of puzzle.. the destroked engine is just the enabler

To realize the benefits.. you need to
Think beyond just the engine.. thats only part of puzzle.. the destroked engine is just the enabler

Yup. Tuning intake to tailpipe. Throw one of these rotary mufflers in the mix and it gets really complicated really fast.

Yup. Tuning intake to tailpipe. Throw one of these rotary mufflers in the mix and it gets really complicated really fast.

Thats the problem.. people not being able to grasp the concept of less can actually give you more.. whole picture

Its just like .. how can my car be faster with LESS boost or make more power with a smaller camshaft

Cabin fever discussion.

Let's say you have engine combo X.
You destroke, maintain CR, same cam/rpm/heads/valves/boost/fuel. You adjust the tune . . . .
What's your opinion or experience on the performance results?

If you already have a 3/4" hose to flow water and you drop to a 1/2" hose and you want it to give you the same results in filling up a bucket, you would have to increase the pressure on the 1/2" hose to enable it to do the same amount of work that the 3/4" hose already does. In your question with all else being equal you would have to increase engine RPM to achieve the same. At 6000 rpms you have a given amount of intake port velocity to give you X amount of work from the engine, the de-stroked version might have to turn 6300ish to achieve the same intake port velocity so that it can give you the same results as 6000 from the standard stroke engine... The fastest 109 TSM motor uses a 3.400 crank, not a 3.625. I know its not de-stroked, but its also not a stroker

Here's a simple to the point explanation of what we're discussing from a seasoned Buick engine builder.

"The reason a higher RPM engine makes more power is because you have more power pulses per second. But the rest of the combination has to be able to support with valve control and air supply."

When the OP is asking a question.
Seems like most of the time people never really answers the question.
It turns into a debate.

The answer to the OP question is simply
Less power

Please nobody get offended
Please

No one said you can't make more power.
You just can't do it with out making changes.

It's just depends on the application that makes the decision on how the engine should be built.

For me personally
I chose Stroker.
Because of the way I like to drive and where I drive.

It's important to know why he's asking.
What he trying to do.

1/4 mile car?
1/8 mile car?
Street car?
Street/ strip car?
Daily driver car?
Land speed car?
Road course car?
options go on

Here's my take on thing's.......The OP Jerry knew already that a short stoke alone wouldn't make more power. He was intrigued by comments regarding destroking in another thread and created this one as a platform for further discussion. You know it's a good topic when the fast guys start to respond:)

Cabin fever discussion.

Let's say you have engine combo X.
You destroke, maintain CR, same cam/rpm/heads/valves/boost/fuel. You adjust the tune . . . .
What's your opinion or experience on the performance results?
You won't get the right result because you can't properly optimize the combo with the same targets as the old combo.everything that changes should be for the target goal this is critical.stroking and destroking needs totally 2 different approaches to the build and tune and converter and gearing otherwise it's just trying to fight with one arm tied behind your back.

Here's my take on thing's.......The OP Jerry knew already that a short stoke alone wouldn't make more power. He was intrigued by comments regarding destroking in another thread and created this one as a platform for further discussion. You know it's a good topic when the fast guys start to respond:)
Yes of course
His choice of words said it all.
He could care less what you say this was nothing more than entertainment for him

Yes of course
His choice of words said it all.
He could care less what you say this was nothing more than entertainment for him

Oh no! He's a good guy! He wasn't trying to belittle anyone, he was simply trying to bring a good discussing to the forum.

Looking at it from the power pulse or power stroke perspective I think you would look at things like dwell time of the piston and diminishing cylinder pressure as the piston reaches the bottom of the stroke. Stroker would have the mechanical advantage but the short stoke would already be on its way back up for another breath. In short maybe 5 short power stokes could deliver more energy than 4 longer strokes.

Last edited:
Is there any consideration of parts longevity / reliability in this discussion?

For a street car, or off-road vehicle, usually peak torque production as close to idle is preferable. Generally improves parts longevity also.

My personal opinion would be stock stroke or anything above that on the street and keep it under 6000 due to valve train requirements. Race car can go either way. Just my belief because of the tremendous stress on the valve train due to spring pressure requirement.