Destroking - Facts or fiction

Is there any consideration of parts longevity / reliability in this discussion?
There has been in past threads and several of us have had different results with the squeeze.makin power and breaking things is part of going fast.there is no warranty and there is no my motor at 7000 lives longer than your motor at 6000.they seem to all have different issues.

There has been in past threads and several of us have had different results with the squeeze.makin power and breaking things is part of going fast.there is no warranty and there is no my motor at 7000 lives longer than your motor at 6000.they seem to all have different issues.

I'm betting my new setup lives longer @ 7000 than my old one did at 6000 :)

I'm betting my new setup lives longer @ 7000 than my old one did at 6000 :)
Depends what you broke.I can tell you what your gonna break if you have a killer combo and it doesn't matter what rpm you make your power at:D

Depends what you broke.I can tell you what your gonna break if you have a killer combo and it doesn't matter what rpm you make your power at:D

I'm confident in the motor .. the trans is a concern .. Trans back is non issue now... not sure how the 200 will deal with the R's

Looking at it from the power pulse or power stroke perspective I think you would look at things like dwell time of the piston and diminishing cylinder pressure as the piston reaches the bottom of the stroke. Stroker would have the mechanical advantage but the short stoke would already be on its way back up for another breath. In short maybe 5 short power stokes could deliver more energy than 4 longer strokes.
Appreciate all the replies and discussions

This was the level of duscussion guess I was hoping for. Like I said . . It was a cabin fever discussion.

Mr.Spool and turbo89 you guys are for shorter strokes, do you care to say how short and primary usage?

Last edited:
Mr.Spool and turbo89 you guys are for shorter strokes, do you care to say how short and primary usage?

No don't care to share right now until I actually have time and results on the setup ...

Mike I have no problem posting up after I can back up what I know is going to happen with actual time slips .. I can tell you this with the limited time I have on the setup ... it feels like a high compression NA small displacement motor .. it revs instant and spools instant .

Primary usage is street car .. track performance is secondary ...

Again I have to stress the de-stroking is just an enabler and requires a different approach vs the traditional. Which as you pointed out earlier this thread was posted with a CANNED answer ... the reality as we all know if you do de-stroke and follow through with the entire process.. you WILL have a setup that IS FASTER / QUICKER ... by how much ? Well hopefully I can answer that in a few months .. Only reason I even did this was things I learned in the past with a Turbo SBF and having a short throw BMS crank laying around . I have no doubt it will run away from my previous 3.8 setup ..

PS your engine builder that's giving you the info sounds like Sherman :) ... Guy ROCKS !

No don't care to share right now until I actually have time and results on the setup ...

Mike I have no problem posting up after I can back up what I know is going to happen with actual time slips .. I can tell you this with the limited time I have on the setup ... it feels like a high compression NA small displacement motor .. it revs instant and spools instant .

Primary usage is street car .. track performance is secondary ...

Again I have to stress the de-stroking is just an enabler and requires a different approach vs the traditional. Which as you pointed out earlier this thread was posted with a CANNED answer ... the reality as we all know if you do de-stroke and follow through with the entire process.. you WILL have a setup that IS FASTER / QUICKER ... by how much ? Well hopefully I can answer that in a few months .. Only reason I even did this was things I learned in the past with a Turbo SBF and having a short throw BMS crank laying around . I have no doubt it will run away from my previous 3.8 setup ..

PS your engine builder that's giving you the info sounds like Sherman :) ... Guy ROCKS !
Compression and octane will be your best friend.

I guess I figure the reason for destroking is to be able to meet the rules and/or spin the thing faster. So the all things being equal just isn't when you are going that way to make pah.

My goals are generally street performance. I go to the strip because it is legal. Being able to lay down the pah is just as important as making the pah. So winding the thing is street friendly as it enables you to get your ride hooked and hope you have enough room to run down the guy who launches like a banshee.

There was a reason Mr. Conley was running the destroked 22x" with a bunch of boost before moving up to the tweaked car.

guess I figure the reason for destroking is to be able to meet the rules and/or spin the thing faster
Increasing the rpm window is a big deal.its much harder to get everything all in with a narrow rpm range.

I guess I figure the reason for destroking is to be able to meet the rules and/or spin the thing faster. So the all things being equal just isn't when you are going that way to make pah.

My goals are generally street performance. I go to the strip because it is legal. Being able to lay down the pah is just as important as making the pah. So winding the thing is street friendly as it enables you to get your ride hooked and hope you have enough room to run down the guy who launches like a banshee.

There was a reason Mr. Conley was running the destroked 22x" with a bunch of boost before moving up to the tweaked car.

Shhhh ... your gonna let the cat outta the bag :)

Increasing the rpm window is a big deal.its much harder to get everything all in with a narrow rpm range.
Can I get a break down on this statement? I would think it would be easier to keep it tuned and fueled in the narrow rpm range. The needs of the engine are more constant. You aren't needing to meet the increasing fuel needs as the rpm increases. The valve train can be optimized for a certain rpm instead of having to deal with it going over the wide range. I just think the factory sees this and has gone to eight and ten speed transmissions. This keeps that engine in the most efficient range.

Help me see what you are stating. Thanx

I love these kinds of threads. It helps me think.

Can I get a break down on this statement? I would think it would be easier to keep it tuned and fueled in the narrow rpm range. The needs of the engine are more constant. You aren't needing to meet the increasing fuel needs as the rpm increases. The valve train can be optimized for a certain rpm instead of having to deal with it going over the wide range. I just think the factory sees this and has gone to eight and ten speed transmissions. This keeps that engine in the most efficient range.

Help me see what you are stating. Thanx

I love these kinds of threads. It helps me think.

Power transfer - converter

Can I get a break down on this statement? I would think it would be easier to keep it tuned and fueled in the narrow rpm range
88mm turbo under 5500rpm.think on this for a moment. Getting that turbo and fueling is just not going to happen on a v6 with no rpm range.this is just an example.

I just think the factory sees this and has gone to eight and ten speed transmissions. This keeps that engine in the most efficient range.
Factory is like class racing. You do your best with your hands tied;)

The Chevrolet 302 has a reputation as a high revving engine. It has big 4.00" bores for better breathing than our 3.80" bores and a 3.00"stroke,.4" less than our stock 3.4" stroke. If you cut 2 cylinders off of a 302,you'd have a 227 cu. in. V6 engine.

Last edited:
Been thinking about this topic from a different perspective. More power pulses per second is key to the destroked motor making more power. When comparing a 600 hp 231 @ 2.5 hp per cubic inch vs a 280 ci (at equal RPMs) the extra 50 ci is a huge difference in potential power.