Desperate Cop

I kind of have to agree with you Brett on the drivers and flagmen (and women). If there's a cop there, even if he's just sipping coffee, drivers are much more likely to slow down and follow driving directions.

I agree under certain circumstances and not when they are fast sleep in their car

My nephew is a Boston cop. He'd laugh at that last statement. All the places he deals with are pretty much poor and black. The stories he tells are hilarious and sad on how stupid some of the people he deals with are. He does make a bunch of money on OT details though. I kind of have to agree with you Brett on the drivers and flagmen (and women). If there's a cop there, even if he's just sipping coffee, drivers are much more likely to slow down and follow driving directions.

Yea, I have no doubt Boston has it's share of welfare infested areas as well. I'm generalizing as a whole. Boston has 50-60 homicides each year and Baltimore has 300-400. Poverty is an incubator for crime which of course has a compounding effect. The poorer a city becomes the poorer it gets driving the home owners (Tax base) to the suburbs in place of section 8 renters...:rolleyes:

Back in the 50's and 60's it was referred to as "White flight". A city like Hartford for example was a beautiful place at one time but now it's just one big ghetto after the whites moved to the adjacent wealthy towns. Which is why the small towns always pay better then the city will. Tax base.

We try to argue for a better paying contract each go around like anyone else would but you can't draw blood from a stone and it's like shoveling sh!t against the tide when we try to negotiate for pay similar to the sorrounding towns which have very little crime, great schools and tax payers as a result.

Corrections in NEW JERSEY goes through the EXACT procedures it takes to become a street cop. State Corrections I believe is 21 week academy with full psych, physical, credit and back ground checks. I started in the prison system I know. And sure there are dirty OFFICER'S not GUARDS but there are also dirty COPS. Drugs get in prisons by CIVILIAN, VISITS etc. Do not blame BLUE for the issues inside of state institutions. I would hate to do their job and have to fight with scum everyday. They deserve every penny they get and sure as hell deserve more respect. Give it where it is due. Someone who calls them GUARDS and says they are reason why the prison system is corrupt has no clue how corrections functions. Be real. When I was on the street if you were in Corrections or a local PD I paid them the same respect. They are real heros keeping murderers and rapists away from our front door. Don't be ignorant and bash the unnoticed heros of law enforcement.

And the only two states who put their CORRECTION O F F I C E R S through a full fledged police academy and them full police powers is NEW JERSEY and CALIFORNIA. If other states choose to put Joe Smith into the prisons then so be it. However, the other states should look at NJ a Cali as examples of putting good people in positions of keeping our streets safe.

And the only two states who put their CORRECTION O F F I C E R S through a full fledged police academy and them full police powers is NEW JERSEY and CALIFORNIA. If other states choose to put Joe Smith into the prisons then so be it. However, the other states should look at NJ a Cali as examples of putting good people in positions of keeping our streets safe.

I knew Cali did but wasn't aware of Jersey.

They have a hard enough time filing positions here with the current selection process. Impliment Police officer standards and the prisons would be empty of Co's.:rolleyes: There pay is low as well which detracts good candidates. Cali CO's get paid pretty well tho and im sure Jersey CO's make more then I do for sure if they get paid anywhere near what the Troopers get.

I didn't realize there was annimosity between police and corrections officers. I thought they all got the same basic training then went their own way. My niece (sister of my Boston cop nephew) just got married a month ago. She married a corrections officer. He's a nice guy according to my brother-in-law who's seen the gambit of boyfriends for his girls. Between all the firefighters and cops from Dorchester is was like a scene from Rescue Me.

Are you guys being serious about payscales of law enforcement up there?

I am only asking cause I was doing a few police officers taxes in MS before I closed the tax business and their pay was no where near what you guys are talking about. I mean like 1/4 of what you guys are quoting.

Are you guys being serious about payscales of law enforcement up there?

I am only asking cause I was doing a few police officers taxes in MS before I closed the tax business and their pay was no where near what you guys are talking about. I mean like 1/4 of what you guys are quoting.
the big figures are for the troopers that work the pike here and pick up ungodly amounts of road work and overtime....not typical

Don't mean to be shocked, it's just that is significantly more than LE makes around here. Just curious, but what do teachers make up there?

Any performance standards to go with those nice salaries?

A starting teacher here gets paid around 28K, after many years in the system one can hope to rise all the way up to 40K if lucky.

You must be a minority or a liberal person who owns a prius or believes that Suvs and American cars are destroying the enviroment :biggrin:

Basically none. But you have a do a test and have the right teaching degrees though

As I said before the hackorama continues

what state do you live in?

Those figures are average not starting. Around here starting pay can be as low as 29k.

my property taxes just topped $10,000.00 and still climbing. I am so full of hope I split a gut.

You must be a minority or a liberal person who owns a prius or believes that Suvs and American cars are destroying the enviroment :biggrin:

Basically none. But you have a do a test and have the right teaching degrees though

As I said before the hackorama continues

what state do you live in?

No kidding, the application should say Prius required. :D

I am in Mississippi. Our wage structure here is much lower than anywhere in the northeast. Of course, our cost of living is lower. The real difference is housing. Our housing cost are fairly low.

Our teachers are basically held to the same performance standards, none. Degree, test and go to work. There has been work done to push continuing education and periodic testing in core ciriculums, but not much.