design/engineering

iamjeff

next gen buick enthusiast
Just wanting to hear the viewes of someone who has been in the industry for longer than i have (which anything more then about 2 months)... I am currently a student at Texas A&M and am about to start my third year. I am attempting to get my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, and I recently got hired by a oilfield service company as a machinery designer producing drawings with austocad and solidworks. I am considering getting an associates in mechanical design, instead of getting my BSME. Would ya'll say that this is a poor decision? Is design a bad carreer decision? Any helpfull opinions would be appreciated.

-Jeff

If you have a knack for drawing/designing and that is what you want to do 9 hours a day, go for the associates. I've found that the sooner you get a job and make money, the more money you will make.

After you get your first job, where you went to school or what degree you have doesn't matter too much.

Some large companies offer education assistance so if you want a bachelors they'll not only pay for it, but give you stock when you graduate. The internet has made it possible to get a degree anywhere.

Oilfield service companies follow a pretty predictable cycle. Contrary to popular belief, oil won't be $70/bbl forever, so make sure you keep your options open or your skills honed, because the new guys or the least skilled are the first to go in the eventual layoff. And it WILL happen. It is ONLY a matter of time.

A design/drafting job is only a bad job if you don't like doing it.

UNGN said:
.........A design/drafting job is only a bad job if you don't like doing it.

Agree. There are many more opportunities with more $ in medical fields, but, YOU need to get into a field you will enjoy. Do not get into a field just for $$$ cause you may not last and waste your edumacation. :eek:
Discuss this with your advisor and than seek some real world advice.

I've been doing design engineering in the petroleum products industry for over 7 years now. I have a BS in EE, my boss has the ME. By necessity, I have had to take over many of the aspects of the basic mechanical design aspects of our machine. I will be glad to share what I know.

As the Engineer, you will be responsible for the machine to work right. If stress analysis comes easy for you (if you can grasp the concepts), it may be worth your time. In this industry, you will need to have a grasp on it. (I don't, that's what my boss is for). As the service company, you will be expected to do the job right the first time...these customers don't play around.

As the Designer, you will be making drawings and designing machines (or piping, or whatever) per the Engineers specifications. Really working 'with' the engineer instead of 'for' the engineer. Everything you do will (should) go through the engineers hands before going out of the department.

In the long run, the BS will bring in more money than the Associates. But you will have more responsibility to go with it. I actually have an associates in design as well, but it didn't bring in the salary. I went back for the BS...much better paychecks. It really breaks down to what you want compared to what you want to do.

If I may ask, who will you be working for?
Feel free to email me directly if you like.

you may find out that later in life you want to advance up the career ladder, but you won't have as many opportunities due to the lack of the BSME. Have heard it happen from several different people, a few of who went back to school in their 40's to try to finish their BSME degree. I would finish the BSME, and if you still want to do the design work, you'll have the degree to back you up. I worked with several designers who had BSME's, and it seemed like they were always a notch above the rest as far as being quality designers.

My son (24) graduated from Lamar University last year with a BS in Industrial Technology (he orginally had gotten an associate degree in Autocad right out of H.S.). His first full-time job was a salary job (from the BS degree) and paid $40k a year. He worked there for 6 months before Englobal "head-hunted" him for an autocad job that now pays him $55k with paid overtime and a 4 day week. Whatever route you choose, you can always seek more education at a later date (and quite possibly get paid for it too).

I'm a RF Performance Engineer for one the Largest Cellphone Companies, and if you're wanting to get a really fun job, get your BSEE and become a Performance Engineer for any Wireless Company.

You'll be a "TestMan" type of guy driving around with laptops and antennas hanging off your vehicle collecting data, and analyzing it for drop calls, ineffective attempts, etc

Plus you'll get free cellphone service, free internet via broadband wireless card, free company vehicle, great benefits, pay, etc

find something you like to do, go with a good company and they will more than like pay for your school. thats what i did got hired as a design engineer and now they are paying for my school.

my 2 cents...

I only skimmed through the other replies, and it looked like I would agree with some points and disagree with others. individual experiences and opinions will vary.

I've worked as a mechanical designer for about 7 1/2 years now. I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology from the University of Houston. the BSMET is a four-year degree however, the Texas Board of Professional Engineers requires 8 years of experience for a BSMET versus only 4 years of experience for a BSME before you are eligible for to take the PE exam.

Now, based on *my* personal experience you're much better off getting your PE liscense as soon as you can. Becoming a PE is no guarantee of big money, but IT OPENS DOORS! Just like a degree of any kind is no guarantee of anything, but it does *open doors* - a PE liscense opens doors to even more opportunities. I've worked with several brilliant designers that will never get the money or opportunities they deserve simply because they are not PE's and will not be eligible to get their PE liscense.

Someone commented that they believed the sooner you start making money the more you will make. Well, I believe that's absolutely true in some industries, but I've already seen several talented designers get passed up for promotion in favor of a younger less knowledgible employee that already has their PE or is on track to have it soon.

Rob

Get the ME degree now while you're in school. It's much harder to go back and get another degree once you're working as you get started down the career path. If you get additional education, you'll then be working on a Masters. A PE is really nice but come with more responsibility as well.

You'll be banking better money with it than the design degree and have much better job portability which I understand is pretty important in the oil industry. My brothers worked in Houston in that industry for several years and is making some decent coin. He's an ME, BTW.

He's worked for VMW, Drill-Quip another one I can't remember and now he's a project manager for Oceaneering. I can give you his number if you PM me. He's very good friends with a partner in a placement company that can get you a job like tomorrow (if you're good).

Personally, I have an engineering degree in Manufacturing Engineer. Much better for me than an ME degree but that is a personal decision. I've worked with designers / drafters and seen them watch others get promoted while they sit in the same chairs. Get the ME, you'll be glad in the long run. I'd be surprised if you didn't make over $50K out of the gate.

Thanks a lot for all of the replies...it really helps to see another perspective from time to time. I'm still not really sure what im going to do, but chances are i will get my BS. I suppose my real dilema is that i like design, and wasn't sure that i wanted to spend the most likely 3 more years at a&m if i didnt have to. however, i also dont want to limit myself and watch less qualified people advance simply because they have a degree. And then there is also the fact that school is VERY EXPENSIVE (and going up nearly every semeser). If, only we could get 5 minutes with our future self...

-Jeff

I agree with the people that have already advised you to continue working towards your BS. I have been working full time in the Aerospace industry for two years now (I graduated with a BS in ME in Dec. 2004), and at my company, I see many opportunities for career advancement for those with a degree. Of course those without the BS degree also are eligible to apply for the positions, but the positions generally require many, many years of experience in lieu of the degree. If you were to take the job and only achieve the associates, you would likely be stuck in the same position without much room for advancement for at least 5 years.

Also, you may begin working as a designer and find out that after several years of it, it is no longer exciting. Once the work no longer interests you or keeps you from being bored, you will need to search for a different job. If that happens, then you will probably want to return to school to obtain the BS, but this time you'll have more bills to pay and possibly even a family to support.

Another point to be made, although unfortunate, is that in today's world it seems that the best way to advance your career is to change positions every few years. Having a mechanical engineering degree will definitely help you to secure different positions early in your career while you are still making a name for yourself.

Finally, the college years are great years! I miss being in school and almost wish that I hadn't worked so hard to get out soon. I'm envious of my friends that are still working on their degrees, because they are still living the fun college life. Don't short change yourself on some good experiences just to make some money. The money will come eventually, and money does not equal happiness!

Good luck on that degree! ;)