Decoding engine vin

gmmuscle

Got a strange one-

block is a 25526109 in my 86 GN. Number stamped on engine pad is 4FP400004. My car vin ends in 400003. What is the code for 86 blocks?

Pete Hoffman's Buick Turbo Regal book (pg 78) decodes example 4CRxxxxxx

Buick
C
year 1982
xxxxxx
last digits of vehicle vin

Carl

Got a strange one-

block is a 25526109 in my 86 GN. Number stamped on engine pad is 4FP400004. My car vin ends in 400003. What is the code for 86 blocks?

Pete Hoffman's Buick Turbo Regal book (pg 78) decodes example 4CRxxxxxx

Buick
C
year 1982
xxxxxx
last digits of vehicle vin

Carl

That's very strange that your engine vin and body vin are so close yet don't match!!!! Could it be that the car with vin 3 got your vin 4 engine (speaking of last digit) during assembly????

The engine stamp (last 6 digits) is supposed to match the last 6 of the vehicle vin.

That's very strange that your engine vin and body vin are so close yet don't match!!!! Could it be that the car with vin 3 got your vin 4 engine (speaking of last digit) during assembly????

The engine stamp (last 6 digits) is supposed to match the last 6 of the vehicle vin.

WHen in the MFG sequence did the Block get Vin coded?

my late 87 built gn came with the car before its build sheet in the door , missed mine by one number

looks like a mistake on the line , and 4F says the car was indeed an early 86 model built in 85 , your was #3 off the line in sept 85 , very cool

looks like a mistake on the line , and 4F says the car was indeed an early 86 model built in 85 , your was #3 off the line in sept 85 , very cool

That clears up the F, as I was not sure if an 86 model made in 85 would be listed as an F, or G, and could not find evidence that the 109 engine block was ever produced in a 1985 model.

Cool, :cool:maybe my car has better lineage :eek:than I thought.

I have a friend who is lusting over my GN, and his story as to why the engine and car are off by 1 digit is " Hey maybe some bigwig at Buick took engine #1 for himself!!?":rolleyes:

Carl

the f could also be they forgot to switch over and use the g stamp , it was the first day of doing 86s and only the third one done that morning , maybe a monday car

WHen in the MFG sequence did the Block get Vin coded?

I don't know about other manufacterers, but the turbo regals built in 86 and 87 all had vin coded engine blocks AND trannys.