Decision on a new turbo

Turbomonte

Hello everyone,

As you can see from my sig, there is a fair amount of work already done to my GN. the turbo recently went out on me and I am looking for a replacement/ upgrade. I am looking for some opinions based on the parts and goals. Most of the mods were already on the car when I bought it from a dealership. I do not know the cam details other than whats listed. The turbo that went bad was a Turbonetics "Stage 3 Cheetah" I was told. the only thing I can say for sure is the compressor wheel measured 58mm. I have have been doing some research and thinking maybe a 6057, 6157 or a 6262. I do know my weak link is the transmission. A rebuild is in the plan. I have a 12" 2800 Pro Torque converter waiting.

As for my goals, I would be happy with easy, reliable 11.50s. Though it will not be seeing a lot of track time. It'll mostly just be a fun street car. So, I would rather not push the boost any further than necessary. While not completely opposed to Alky injection, I do not wish to use it unless necessary to achieve my goals. Also, no race gas. I have 93 octane available and 100 at one pump in the area. Any suggestions or tweaks to my plan would be appreciated.

Matt

Any of those turbo's listed should meet your goals with the mods you already have.I think the trans is not going to last long at all if it is stock.I would contact Bison on here and he probably has the turbo you need ready to go or can build you one quick.His knowledge and work is excellent!!!

Your goal is achievable but a long shot on 100 octane but not going to happen on 93 without a bunch of engine work. I'd re-evaluate and go from there. 93/alky is a walk in the park with the turbo you had and someone that can dial it in. With 100 octane I'd say it's a much harder goal because of the cylinder pressure limitation. T04e60 compressor with a stage 3 turbine is likely what you had with the cheetah. I wouldn't rec any turbo with a turbine exducer larger than 57mm for 11.50.

Well it looks like I will have to take another look at an Alky system. But before that ill get it to a decent tune on 93 and get my transmission done. Bison, ill be calliing soon to get a turbo ordered.