Decided to tackle the "I want a touch screen in my 1.5 DIN slot" dilemma...

6LE Designs

Originally I was going to try to just mount a tablet there and then work on interfacing it but I decided to go a cheaper quicker route.

After seeing how this guy bought a single DIN that's screen extended PAST the size of a single DIN, mounted it high and finished product looked good...

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/showthread.php?t=15721

side.JPG

ptid-5300.jpg

install1.JPG

install2.JPG

install4.JPG

I decided to search out a similar (and newer) head unit to try the same thing in my 1987 Grand National. I found this for around $150 shipped brand new and ordered it last night...

p9720.jpg

I THINK it should fill the 1.5 DIN slot nicely but I'm a little worried the buttons might protrude down too much, we'll see. It's cheap (like I said, around $150 NEW, SHIPPED and WITH install kit and harness!) but I just wanted something that looked like it belonged in the space and that I could use ipod with, etc...

I'll keep this thread updated as I go along...

subscribed... waiting to see how it turns out....great to see someone doing something different

aaron

Uggg.... Got it in today. Bigger than I thought. I'm going to just cut a new trim piece on the waterjet next week more than likely to make this work. Install the radio (minus the trim) on Saturday, will post pics...

Started tonight, pulled my Pioneer. No clue what the previous owner did but now I have to trace wires as it wasn't a store bought harness... Seriously considering making a plate that will allow me to move the HVAC to the bottom as well...

I think that a double din could be made to fit in the stock dash without dash modifications. might have to alter heater controls and bezel but I think it's doable. It's on my "someday" list.

I think that a double din could be made to fit in the stock dash without dash modifications. might have to alter heater controls and bezel but I think it's doable. It's on my "someday" list.
i dont think so... it needs cutting. I started the process a loooong time ago... i just need to make a template for the bezel so i can send the measurements out.

aaron

Issues with the connection of the radio or issues with making it fit? Im anxious to see if its going to fot or how you did it.. Im on stand by to install or purchase a radio untill your done... LOL

^^Neither. Coupler on my intercooler. Put a FMIC on and couplers are wrong, blew off on highway. Waiting on new ones to get in to I can install and be able to drive to the shop to design the plate for the radio on the waterjet...

See...that's just how these cars are.

I only wanted to change the radio station and the intercooler hoses blew off?
Does anyone know if this is related? :D

I was very hopeful and optimistic about this thread as well, right up until I heard about relocating A/C controls and different bezels.

I have "almost" given up, on the holy grail of a modern day 1.5 DIN solution; and simply have a nice quality; Kensigton windsheild mount; mounted low; for my iPhone, nestled up against the dash surround, and use the crappy analog audio out to my modified Corvette 1.5 DIN radio.
But the primary controls are my iPhone.
So, it's not horrible.
I also occasionally use a Portable XM receiver in the same cradle and same connection method.

What I outta do is velcro the iPhone to the front of the radio in landscape mode and pretend!