Debadging

terik.m

I thought GNs are black
Today I feel like debadging and removing the side moulding from my Suburban. I am also going to black out the grill and paint the wheel well trim black just like my T Type. My question is what's the best way to remove the emblems and moulding from the vehicle without an epic failure?

Since nobodies thrown a good idea up for ya yet I'll tell my way.

I've CAREFULLY used a box cutter to slice the tape loose on emblems. Then a blow dryer to heat the remaining foam/tape and peel with my fingers till they feel like I've twisted the skin cockeyed! Use goo gone to clean the residue.

Factory Side Mouldings, I wouldn't know the best way. I've never tried to remove one while not messin up what's below. Always done as part of a repaint. I've never had a good time removing them either! They're on there real good! Usually end up screwin em up gettin em off cause they got an aluminum backing that gets bent real easy. I always end up gouging the paint with the razor or nicking the aluminum backing somwhere, etc.

Have Fun!

as to what the guy b4 me said You might want douse it with GOO GONE for 10 mins to soften ip the stickey part.

I have used a plastic paint scraper or I hear DENTAL Floss works well.

as to what the guy b4 me said You might want douse it with GOO GONE for 10 mins to soften ip the stickey part.

I have used a plastic paint scraper or I hear DENTAL Floss works well.

Dental floss works great - I've debadged several cars this way. WD40 works good to remove the leftover tape.

Rob

Dental floss is too flimsy IMO. I use fishing line and then just a little of the goo gone (I think it will eat the paint) Then I'll clay bar and wax the spot and viola! no emblem.

use your wifes blowdryer, heat up the moulding and very carefully with some piano wire or a razor blade cut it of. use some scotchbrite or wax and grease remover to remove the residue. You might have to do some light buffing. Ive done this many times before.

Thanks for the tips. The passenger side is done and I will do the driver's side tomorrow. I ended up heating the moulding with my ol lady's hair dryer and sawing thru the glue with knotted fishing line. The left over adhesive is a PITA. My fingers look like the back side of a Nestle Crunch from all the blisters. ;)

Instead of another peeling adhesive marathon I went out a bought a 3m Magic Eraser Wheel. If you ever have to remove thick double sided tape or adhesive go out a buy one of these. This got the job done in 30 minutes. Awesome product!!!!!!

sjdiscounttools_2139_887443887

all the ones ive seen are solid ... never seen the eraser with the teeth ... glad everything worked out well