Dear Moderator/Owner of this board or whoever can do anything....

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I am sure I speak for everyone on here when I say that:

1. We need to be allowed to search with a minimum of 3 characters and not 4. Just today while searching, it made it twice as long. There are many three letter words here that can help big time in searches. i.e. BFR, ATR, 1LE, TPS, MAF, IAC, etc. Can you please set this to three.

2. Could we please be allowed to edit our original posts at least in the for sale forums. Many other boards are like this and it allows us as sellers AND buyers to buy/sell easier. As sellers, it allows us to put SOLD next to an item that we originally listed so we do not keep getting pms crammed up our butts from people that only like to read the first post and inquire about something that was sold long ago. As buyers, this would help save us time having to read every post in a thread instead of just reading the first one to see if an item is sold.

I really do not think this should be a request but yet common sense. Do any of the moderators here agree or what?

I will address the second part of your post.

NO way in hell would i allow for members to alter for sale parts, not everyone here is honest.

All it takes is a member to purchase parts from a new member, and the thief delete their original post. Guess who gets hanging with no parts and no money with no trace????? Everybody!

We have been down this road in the past about parts for sale, its really is the best to leave the threads left by them selves so anyone can go back and read what was sold.
If someone was to purchase a part from another member, then once recieved the goods, then whats keeping the seller from deleting his posts once the money has been recieved?

If you want to make your life easier, dont sell so many parts on this board:eek:

BW

Mean to say once the buyer pays for their goods, if a member is not honest and deletes his thread once he recieves payment. Then there is no trace back here.

Guess what, i cant edit my posts in the lounge, been like that for over a year now:confused:

BW

I will address the second part of your post.

NO way in hell would i allow for members to alter for sale parts, not everyone here is honest.

All it takes is a member to purchase parts from a new member, and the thief delete their original post. Guess who gets hanging with no parts and no money with no trace????? Everybody!

We have been down this road in the past about parts for sale, its really is the best to leave the threads left by them selves so anyone can go back and read what was sold.
If someone was to purchase a part from another member, then once recieved the goods, then whats keeping the seller from deleting his posts once the money has been recieved?

If you want to make your life easier, dont sell so many parts on this board:eek:

BW

And I have a counter action on your suggestion. Do not let them edit but let them add. This way, the original post stays, yet you can add the word "SOLD" to it. Problem solved. I never mentioned anything about deleting posts.

And I have a counter action on your suggestion. Do not let them edit but let them add. This way, the original post stays, yet you can add the word "SOLD" to it. Problem solved. I never mentioned anything about deleting posts.

I cant control the way we could add to the original post and keep it simple like you said, to me if you wanted to add to the post it could be copy and pasted to the end. I might see a glitch in editing posts with keeping the original text..

Feel free to pm Jay C to see what could happen, it might be something better for everyone.

Just wondering, what is the limit number of your pms? Mine is 150, not sure if that was due to the fact im the moderator there or not.

I wasnt trying to imply that you would alter your posts in that fashion, i have seen other members make that happen and that is why its set in stone as to why there is no editing in the parts for sale section.

BW

The search thing is a software limitation, not some limitation that we've imposed. Without recompiling the modules that the board runs on, it's not possible to go below the 3 character limit and if you could, it would be very server intensive.

What about 3 letters like he asked? MAF IAC ECT?

I assume 4 letters are the min?

I tried to find posts the other day about ZAK to figure out the lift on a camshaft. ZAK wouldnt show up becuase it didnt meet the minimum

Correct.. 4 characters is the limit.

3 would be ideal but without recompiling everything, it's not gonna happen and trying to index 3 characters words would probably blow the server up.

BTW, you can search for 3 character words if you use a wildcard on the end.

Try searching for tps*

If PM a mod of the section, and give him enough time, we will be happy to mark your post as sold. Close or deleting threads, as we get requests for all the time, is not an option however!

The search thing is a software limitation, not some limitation that we've imposed. Without recompiling the modules that the board runs on, it's not possible to go below the 3 character limit and if you could, it would be very server intensive.

In this day and age, I don't see why that would be a problem. I do see how it could be a software limitation which would probably need reprogramming. Its a shame the original developers couldnt make that an option to do 3 characters. 2 or 1 and yes I could see overload, but 3, I have a hard time believing. If your server would have a problem going from 4 to 3, then its time for a new server, or perhaps a bolt on turbocharger.:biggrin:

Mine is only 100 :eek:

Moderators can have 150 PMs, regular users, 100. Keep in mind that under the previous ownership, regular users were only allowed 50. As the forum no longer runs on a server by Hasbro, we were able to raise the limit for everyone.

In this day and age, I don't see why that would be a problem. I do see how it could be a software limitation which would probably need reprogramming. Its a shame the original developers couldnt make that an option to do 3 characters. 2 or 1 and yes I could see overload, but 3, I have a hard time believing. If your server would have a problem going from 4 to 3, then its time for a new server, or perhaps a bolt on turbocharger.:biggrin:

Its not the forum software. Its either a MySQL or PHP limitation.. I cant remember which. Ive never seen a VB forum that allowed searching of 3 characters.

Its not the forum software. Its either a MySQL or PHP limitation.. I cant remember which. Ive never seen a VB forum that allowed searching of 3 characters.

Three letter searches work on the other board, am I wrong? It says at the bottom of the page that it's VB software.

oldspower.com uses the vb software and can search 3 letters... I'm one of the mods on there, just went over and tried it...