Dead Stage 2

That's great!

Update:
The rods should be in today and according to Kenny the CP pistons will be in by the end of the week.
The heads are done.
The crank was completed a couple of weeks ago. It cleaned up at .010" undersize. I also had it lightened and heat treated.
The Champion intake has been converted over to bolt on the engine.
Precision has checked out the turbo and it is being shipped back.
So we need to get the block machined and the rotating assembly balanced.
Jeff

Then there's NO excuse why we wont see it driven to the Bates show on Sun.;)

Mike Barnard

Don,

The cam was flat tappet hydraulic so the groove is in the journal.

Neal

wow, a stage block with a flat tappet cam?? huh. is a roller in the future for this "fresh" set up? and what was the best time with that cam in there? (any specs?) just curious:cool:
thanks.

Jeff is the one doing all the work. I'm just sitting on the side lines these days.

Neal

your "project" car is looking GOOD Jeff! somebody put a LOT of work into it!

Robert spent a lot of time on the body of that car. There is still a ton of work that has to be done. (new body cushions, GNX dash, Razor, insulation and replace the carpet and interior as well as all the outside trim for starters).
Jeff

I thought I would give an update on this project. Everything started normally until K1 sent the wrong rods and Kenny did not catch the mistake so the engine was balanced with narrow journal instead of wide journal rods (can you say remove the crank and re-balance). The front cam bearing was installed at Kenny's and it did not have a grove on the backside and the cam did not have a grove in the journal so we did not get oil over to the drivers side lifters (stage 2's do not have a grove in the block like the 109's. Had to pull the cam; engine was in the car). Then during reassembly the grommet for the PCV pushed into the lifter area; so the intake had to come off again. This weekend I got the engine running and the Champion head (which I had sent out to be checked) has a crack near where Champion engraved their name. So now I need a set of heads and some motivation to get this engine back out (I used studs and it is just easier to pull the whole engine).
Jeff

Just a couple of pictures of the engine and the cracked head.
Jeff

Attachments

• Ralph's Stage2 10-09 001.jpg
    Ralph's Stage2 10-09 001.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 404
  • Ralph's Stage2 10-09 002.jpg
    Ralph's Stage2 10-09 002.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 413
Is that an old production run head, or are they still cracking heads? Why do people use those things.

I thought I would give an update on this project. Everything started normally until K1 sent the wrong rods and Kenny did not catch the mistake so the engine was balanced with narrow journal instead of wide journal rods (can you say remove the crank and re-balance). The front cam bearing was installed at Kenny's and it did not have a grove on the backside and the cam did not have a grove in the journal so we did not get oil over to the drivers side lifters (stage 2's do not have a grove in the block like the 109's. Had to pull the cam; engine was in the car). Then during reassembly the grommet for the PCV pushed into the lifter area; so the intake had to come off again. This weekend I got the engine running and the Champion head (which I had sent out to be checked) has a crack near where Champion engraved their name. So now I need a set of heads and some motivation to get this engine back out (I used studs and it is just easier to pull the whole engine).
Jeff
Jeff thats a drag, stage motors can be tricky.I had my share of heartaches with them & didn't have Kenny to help me. You know when I first found out Ralph jilted me & started calling you his mechanic I went into deep depression & swore off Buicks forever. But a funny thing happened I found myself for some reason drinking less. Now when I see Ralph I want to hug him instead doing other unmentionables. Since you're on a roll if you wanted to work on Supras you could steal Harold away from the Bogosians.Just think how rich you could become. lol Lou

Jeff thats a drag, stage motors can be tricky.I had my share of heartaches with them & didn't have Kenny to help me. You know when I first found out Ralph jilted me & started calling you his mechanic I went into deep depression & swore off Buicks forever. But a funny thing happened I found myself for some reason drinking less. Now when I see Ralph I want to hug him instead doing other unmentionables. Since you're on a roll if you wanted to work on Supras you could steal Harold away from the Bogosians.Just think how rich you could become. lol Lou

consider yourself fortunate right now Lou! I hate it when things go wrong like that:mad: Makes me not miss my car right now:eek:

Is that an old production run head, or are they still cracking heads? Why do people use those things.

Don,
It is an old production head. This is about the fourth time that I have been bitten by Champion racing heads (kind of an oxymoron). Before we started this build, we discussed replacing the heads. Well it was not in the budget and for the level of performance that Ralph wanted it should have held up. I guess that when he detonated the engine it also stressed the head.
Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry to hear / read about the head cracking. I've been through the exact same thing with Champion heads and swore off them years ago. I still have pictures somewhere showing both my heads with cracks thru the logo between spark plug holes.

Subsequently they have revised the casting at least twice that I know of and relocated the logo to the end of the head which believe it or not was my idea. I brought up to Tom at Bill at Champion that it didn't make any sense to machine stress risers (ie: their logo) into the side of the head. The 3rd generation and earlier is also very thin in this area too (approx. .125").

I hate to tell you and Ralph this but that damage isn't repairable and is why Ralph's car formerly belonging to Jason Hall has 2 different heads on it. The other one cracked in the same fashion several years ago.

If I can do anything to help let me know.

Neal

consider yourself fortunate right now Lou! I hate it when things go wrong like that:mad: Makes me not miss my car right now:eek:
That is a shame. But the hardest part about these disappointments is to dwell on them. I just get pissed & tear into the problem till its fixed .Then I take it out on the miserable SOB that brought me the piece of sh#t to begin with & punish them. Take mean chicken or Andrew for example.