Dead Stage 2

I don't mean to be picky, but to me the heads make the stage, not the block. If your using production style heads, you're Stage I. If you're using Stage II heads, you're Stage II.
If you're using a Stage II block with production style heads, you're Stage I. Unless someone has come up with new descriptions? :confused:

I don't mean to be picky, but to me the heads make the stage, not the block. If your using production style heads, you're Stage I. If you're using Stage II heads, you're Stage II.
If you're using a Stage II block with production style heads, you're Stage I. Unless someone has come up with new descriptions? :confused:

Don't be foolish, Don.

Stage 2 heads don't work on street cars.

Everybody knows that.

Don, I've been arguing that for years. :biggrin: Common misconception is that if the block is not a "109" then it must be a stage 2:rolleyes: You should come take a look at my "stage 3" :eek:

scott wile

Don, I've been arguing that for years. :biggrin: Common misconception is that if the block is not a "109" then it must be a stage 2:rolleyes: You should come take a look at my "stage 3" :eek:

scott wile
You mean, the "TURBONATOR"!!!??

Engine is out and there is major damage to #6 piston and rod bearing (#5 rod bearing also had some minor issues). Crank will have to be cut; it is std/std (I am hoping .010/.010 will clean it up). Some main bearings (#4 and 3) were showing a copper appearance. Head gasket at # 6 on the back cooling hole had damage as well as a minor meltdown of the aluminum head in that area (can be filled and resurfaced).

Attachments

• Stage 2 #6 rod and piston damage.jpg
    Stage 2 #6 rod and piston damage.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Stage 2 main bearing issues.jpg
    Stage 2 main bearing issues.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 327
It sounded like you had the tune dialed in. What do you think happened?

Don, That is the key question. I will get the pumps and injectors checked out. Ralph was using a mixture of C-16 and 91 gas with alcohol injection. He was not running high boost or a lot of timing(unless it was turned up after I recorded the first run). We also need to get an EGT meter installed before he runs the car again. One other find that I did not mention; the front cam bearing had some serious issues (burrs and wear making it difficult to remove the cam. It did not have a grove on the back side).
Jeff

Don, That is the key question. I will get the pumps and injectors checked out. Ralph was using a mixture of C-16 and 91 gas with alcohol injection. He was not running high boost or a lot of timing(unless it was turned up after I recorded the first run). We also need to get an EGT meter installed before he runs the car again. One other find that I did not mention; the front cam bearing had some serious issues (burrs and wear making it difficult to remove the cam. It did not have a grove on the back side).
Jeff
I take it there was a groove in the block or the cam journal?

Update:
The rods should be in today and according to Kenny the CP pistons will be in by the end of the week.
The heads are done.
The crank was completed a couple of weeks ago. It cleaned up at .010" undersize. I also had it lightened and heat treated.
The Champion intake has been converted over to bolt on the engine.
Precision has checked out the turbo and it is being shipped back.
So we need to get the block machined and the rotating assembly balanced.
Jeff