dbl roller timing chain

6pk2go

I just had my motor rebuilt and had a dbl roller chain put in. I'm not sure if the rebuilder put back the chain tensioner. I understand it should not be installed w/the dbl roller chain. (1) can it even be installed? (2) will any damage occur if he did install the tensioner.

It should not be installed and could fall apart if installed,Loose parts are never good

1. Yes it can be installed.
2. Yes it will get eaten up by the chain and will cause damage.

Either ask him if it was installed, or start removing parts and check for yourself. Not sure if you can see it from teh cam sensor hole or not...?

Squid

I dont believe youll see it thruo the cam sensor hole,If its there get it out,Make sure to reprime the oilpump if you remove the front cover.

I just took off a double roller I didn't realize the builder has used. When I pulled the front cover the tensioner pad had come off and was lying in the cover just waiting to be picked up by the chain....I got lucky. Replaced with a GM set of gears, chain, and tensioner and bearing type thrust button. Double roller NOT needed unless using roller cam.

Squid4life said:
Double roller not needed, but it won't bother anything will it?

Squid
Loaded question that will vary with each person.Stock is quieter, works well, minimal stretch. Just my personal opinion, unless you are making LARGE HP with a roller, not needed. I've heard of others having the pads come off the tensioner too.