Dayummm!!

All Navy ships heel over hard in hard turns. Some more than others. Just depends on their "righting arm". We made those turns on the America. Ships don't turn like boats. Ships heel over away from the turn.

Where it REALLY gets exciting is in a hard turn like that, and they shift their rudders to reverse the turn, then the rudders cause the ship to heel over even HARDER!!!:eek: You oughta see destroyers do it!!!

Right Squid??

As a matter of fact, jusding by the wake immediately behind the stern, I'd be willing to bet that's just what was going on. Looks like they've thrown the rudders hard right, which would really roll her hard!

Yep, she wiggles and waggles all kinds of directions when you go full rudder from side to side. Been on the fantail streaming an anti-torpedo countermeasure during these maneuvers. Talk about fun!

Fortunately for me, I only had to spend a few years aboard carriers. I love the "small boys" way better. Have served on a wide variety from frigate, to destroyers, to cruisers. They all lay over (heel over) pretty good in hard turns.

Attachments

• cg56_6.jpg
    cg56_6.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 169
Not so fast...

Nothing compares to:

Torpedo evasion maneuver on a submarine. All ahead flank, cavitate! Get the heck out, fast.

or

Angles and dangles on a submarine. Can you say 40 degree down angle?

or

An emergency blow of all main ballast tanks from test depth. Think Hunt for Red October.

Here is an old video of my first ship from the deck of the Intrepid to give you all some perspective of Frigate life every day underway:D

http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/images/06021043/0602104305.wmv

My third ship was a Frigate. (1077). Will never ever forget the hurricane we got caught in off the NC/SC coast!!!

Talk about angles and dangles on a sub! Try rolls in excess of 45 degrees, and some so radical that the ship rolled so far that the adjoining wave ripped the top of our mast off, and tore away the surface radar with it, cracked the hull at the expansion joint, etc. :eek:

I remember doing unreps in the Persian Gulf on my Frigate with a carrier on the opposite side. Talk about a great view for seeing the size of one of those bad boys. I think we emergency break away'd everytime. Us ET's were always on phone and distance lines, boring as hell.