Dayummm!!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Now this took some big brass one's!!!! :eek:

cv68.jpg

That's the Nimitz, for those that don't know. ;)

Looks

Like my gn leaving the dig .. Ive got a 28 foot carver cabin cruizer on lake michigan and have never been able to do a power slide like that .. But we do have alot of fun with the trim tabs down leaving a big azz wake to ride boogie boards on. Sometimes the wake is higher than the boat. Fun lots of fun

seatrials????

:eek:
That is pretty amazing. I notice there are no planes on the flight deck. Was this during her sea trials.????

Jeez! Those carriers are BIG!! Can't imagine seeing one up close...it's always from far away (sigh):rolleyes:

Bruce '76 Grand National

Jeez! Those carriers are BIG!! Can't imagine seeing one up close...it's always from far away (sigh):rolleyes:

Bruce '76 Grand National

you would never believe how right you are. i worked in the shipyard, repairing electrical damage from Katrina. actually went aboad one once. they are huge to say the least. really HUGE. could fit quite a few houses on them.

Had lunch with the big big man a few times also, I think he was the manager over the whole yard, real nice guy to talk with, down to Earth. My foreman got pissed when he kept sitting down beside me to eat, instead of eating with all the foremen. All the other shipyard workers said he was cool, and would talk to them like people.

A ship that size executing maneuvers like that is just amazing period.

I've been on deck for those turns. Where the real action is, is on the mess decks. Tables and drinks sliding around everywhere. It really is an adventure trying to dodge an oncoming table barrage while holding a tray full of food and walking on the wall.

:eek:
That is pretty amazing. I notice there are no planes on the flight deck. Was this during her sea trials.????

Ya, post overhaul sea trials. Sometime in the mid 80's on this one.

I've been on deck for those turns. Where the real action is, is on the mess decks. Tables and drinks sliding around everywhere. It really is an adventure trying to dodge an oncoming table barrage while holding a tray full of food and walking on the wall.

Ya, we had to do the same stuff when I was serving on USS America! Scary, but fun at the same time.

That just don't look right. There has to be something unforeseen. No way that thing could do that on it's own power not to mention it would be leaning the other way.

Any other info on the pic?

Yes, multiple reactors, 4 props 22' in diam each. The pic is correct and easily accomplished during high speed turns and evasion drills. Been on the 08 level in the superstructure (tower) for those. NIMITZ was my last ship, 3 great years on her!

Propulsion: 2 × Westinghouse A4W nuclear reactors
4 × steam turbines
4 × shafts
260,000 shp (194 MW)

:)

That just don't look right. There has to be something unforeseen. No way that thing could do that on it's own power not to mention it would be leaning the other way.

Any other info on the pic?

The pic is very correct, nothing unforseen. She displaces 97,000 tons and for the most part has a flat hull. Very top heavy so won't "corner" like your typical 21 ft bayliner with a v hull. She leans hard. :biggrin:

The pic is very correct, nothing unforseen. She displaces 97,000 tons and for the most part has a flat hull. Very top heavy so won't "corner" like your typical 21 ft bayliner with a v hull. She leans hard. :biggrin:

Aaaaa, makes sense. Roger that!

All Navy ships heel over hard in hard turns. Some more than others. Just depends on their "righting arm". We made those turns on the America. Ships don't turn like boats. Ships heel over away from the turn.

Where it REALLY gets exciting is in a hard turn like that, and they shift their rudders to reverse the turn, then the rudders cause the ship to heel over even HARDER!!!:eek: You oughta see destroyers do it!!!

Right Squid??

As a matter of fact, jusding by the wake immediately behind the stern, I'd be willing to bet that's just what was going on. Looks like they've thrown the rudders hard right, which would really roll her hard!