Dash Removal

Mr. Upholsterer

Smoking the Buick
Have a 83 Buick Regal, How do I get the dash out and all the dash wiring? I have the dash and wiring from an 86 Grand National I want to put in.:confused:

Let me refraze that...I really need to get the instrument cluster out...but then again the whole wiring harness has to come out ..so I guess the whole dash does have to come out...I am taking out the 3 screws on the bottom now and the 5 or so on the top of the dash...I was thinking there was an easy way to remove the instrument bezle...but looks like the headlight knob will be holding it..tried to reach under the dash for a release button for it but it was like solid under there then there were a few other little levers sticking out of it too that looked like they would not come off too easily.. going back to the dash now...just thinking out loud...

Dash removal -

I don't remember where I got this but it was helpful. It's a nice write-up - unfortunately I can't give due credit to the author. So don't shade your eyes, plagiarize, that'w why the Good Lord made your eyes - just ask VP Biden!!! :tongue:
HTH,
Bob

Attachments

• Dash_Removal.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 411
The head light switch is a bitch to say the least Vince. There's a button on the switch that you need to depress so the stalk can come out. Turbofish (Eric) told me to use a allen wrench to depress it. I ended up using a swivel 7mm socket to unbolt the switch and take the pannel off. A total pain to say the least, but I got it out.

Thanks for the help guys, it really helped. Seems to be a few differances with the Regal dash. I had to drill out a few rivets on the bottom of the dash to get it free. also getting the air conditioner control out of the dash is a bitch too...you can't push it through. I am hoping that I can at least release the cable end of it that attaches to a lever attached to the firewall. Have the speed o meter to take out too..the cable is holding the dash in.. Its getting there though...I guess I better take some photos of the layout of the cable so when I put the 86 wiring harness in I have some kind of an idea of how it is laid out.