Dash Plaque Removal

Does anyone Know how to remove the dash plaque?

lOpen your glove box door, release the hold lever, drop down. Look up in the opening and you can see the plastic studs from the dash plaque sticking in the dash...these have 8mm or 10mm nuts on them, can't remember size, but use a 1/4" drive ratchet with the proper sockent and back them off. There are four of them in a row in the middle of the plaque rear.

Bruce '87 Grand National

good luck...it was a major pita to fit my fat hands up in there lol. If your going with TR Custom part's gauge holder it's even worse to put in, but a real nice piece.

Light Up Dash Plaque

I have This dash plaque that i brought off of ebay that came from a buick limited but the dash plaque lights up...

What kind of light source does your Limited Dash Plaque use? I have a 1987 Limited T with a dash plaque that emits electroluminescent light (like those indiglo lights). However, there is another type that uses a lightpipe style clear lens that shines incandescent light from behind the dash plaque (from two mounted light bulbs).

I will be switching over to the light bulb style when I swap my dash out since my electroluminescent one is getting dark in the right lower corner. These have a cool look to it when lit up (even though its 80's tech) :)

What kind of light source does your Limited Dash Plaque use? I have a 1987 Limited T with a dash plaque that emits electroluminescent light (like those indiglo lights). However, there is another type that uses a lightpipe style clear lens that shines incandescent light from behind the dash plaque (from two mounted light bulbs).

I will be switching over to the light bulb style when I swap my dash out since my electroluminescent one is getting dark in the right lower corner. These have a cool look to it when lit up (even though its 80's tech) :)

Those electroluminescent ones are really beautiful. My brother's '87 Limited has one also. Really nice at night. Kind of wish Grand Nationals had them also. That soft blue light at night is so cool. Nice to have. He has the opera lights on the outside also with the same cool blue glow at night. Really neat.

Bruce '87 Grand National

lOpen your glove box door, release the hold lever, drop down. Look up in the opening and you can see the plastic studs from the dash plaque sticking in the dash...these have 8mm or 10mm nuts on them, can't remember size, but use a 1/4" drive ratchet with the proper sockent and back them off. There are four of them in a row in the middle of the plaque rear.

Bruce '87 Grand National

you are correct except i have never ever seen nuts holding them on!!!

they are these flat type push on type thingys that i normally just cut off and try not to break the 4 studs you speak of.

had about 40 dash pads out never were bolted on!

Push nuts!! That's the words I was looking for but couldn't remember at the time...push nuts! The term for "the flat push on type thingys" that ttaowner said. You're absolutely right. Went out and looked again... mine has all four "flat push on type thingys" on the plaque. Yeah, they are a bitch to remove sometimes. I was able to get mine off with a deep well six point socket...don't ask me why I was able to without trouble...the stars must have been lined up in the heavens just right that night.:biggrin:Just call me lucky for once.

Bruce '87 Grand National

"flat push on type thingy's" will always be my term for them from now on:tongue:

i have a tiny pair of cutters that i slip behind them and cut them off. the cars i usually take apart are not going back toghther though

Plaque

I havent installed it yet,i paid $65 for it,its brand new looking and seems to be a very rare find,im hoping to have pics up soon,Cuz pics seem to speak 1000 words:coo

If they haven't been 'mistreated'... the sheet metal at the top part of them is curved like a screw thread and they 'should' unscrew like a regular nut... but people do tend to get all 'bully' on them and then sometimes they won't behave... either way... they still suck.. but the bean counters love 'em... :smile:

I use these Tinnerman washers at work to capture assembly screws to steel brackets.

You can get them off fairly easily by using a pick to pry up at least 2 adjacent teeth and they will come right off.

To reuse them just flatten the teeth and push them back on.

Bob

I use these Tinnerman washers at work to capture assembly screws to steel brackets.

You can get them off fairly easily by using a pick to pry up at least 2 adjacent teeth and they will come right off.

To reuse them just flatten the teeth and push them back on.

Bob

Tinnerman washers!!! That's another term for them that I've forgotten. I've been out of engineering for a while, so all these everyday terms back then tend to elude me. Glad to have the educated guys here to remind me...thank you. You're right, use that pick, pry up two adjacent teeth, they come off.

Sorry to report, but my dash plaque had four speed nuts on them, no Tinnerman washers, no teeth. I just backed them off with a six point socket. I have no idea why mine had these nuts, a mistake at the assembly line I suppose, but, when I took mine off, it was for the first time. My late Dad was the original owner and he NEVER worked on it. So, I guess it was an assembly line thing, guess they ran out of those "flat round thingys," or Tinnerman washers and used the speed nuts. Well, don't worry about it, it's not important, just use caution to remove whatever the hell is holding the plaque on...Tinnerman washers, speednuts, flat thingys, vise grips, super glue, aircraft bolts, just remove them and do a good job. And, Bob, thanks for reminding me of those washers, I know exactly what you're talking about, you are a very informative man. Good job.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I used to use "PEM NUTS" in lots of my design assemblies in engineering years ago, but I wracked my mind trying to remember that name...PEM NUTS. Until someone recently named that term when I was showing him some assembly in my garage. Getting old is a BITCH!!!!:frown: Guess I'm getting Alzhiemer's or lesdictic:tongue:

Those electroluminescent ones are really beautiful. My brother's '87 Limited has one also. Really nice at night. Kind of wish Grand Nationals had them also. That soft blue light at night is so cool. Nice to have. He has the opera lights on the outside also with the same cool blue glow at night. Really neat.

Bruce '87 Grand National

The Opera Lights on the outside (option next to the side window) are electroluminescent as well but emits a dim white light. Very hard to find in any condition :(

Bruce,

Thanks Bruce, I haven't been called that in a looooooong time. Every once in a while, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Bob

Bruce,

Thanks Bruce, I haven't been called that in a looooooong time. Every once in a while, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Bob

You're welcome, Bob. You've been known as a very informative man here on this forum for a looooooooong time. "a blind squirrel finds a nut":biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce '87 Grand National