Damaged EXH wheel

87chrisss

BLUBYU
So i was browsing the for sale thread and i was inquiring on a turbo i was interested in. The seller says one of the blades is missing a chunk seems like something damaged one of the blades on the exh wheel maybe a spark plug tip, he said it still worked great, does it matter that one of the blades is damaged? Does it need to be changed, or ok to run like that.. What should i pay for a turbo with that type of damage.

If it lost any % of the blade it should be re-balanced. If it lost any significant amount it will need to be replaced and rebalanced. If its just a nick its nothing to worry about and wont hurt power or anything else. If its a Garrett based wheel i can get you a great price on the wheel if you need it. If you run it out of balance it will run out and wear out the bearings, bearing housing, piston ring(s), and back plate over time. You will be able to hear the imbalance at certain shaft speeds. If its a small shaft Garrett based turbo its worth about $300 less with no other damage but the back plate may be shot. If its a large shaft $450 less than normal. Large shaft stuff is ridiculous. Pm me if you want info

He said 1 of the fins is missing? That would put it out of balance and cause some serious issues. It needs a new turbine if a blade is missing.

well he told me a chunk was missing, but he also told me the turbo worked great and spooled fine, but im not going to worry about it im just going to buy something else..

He said 1 of the fins is missing? That would put it out of balance and cause some serious issues. It needs a new turbine if a blade is missing.

You don't necessarily have to replace the turbine wheel. It could be repaired if it's not too bad. I had this done on one of my turbos and you could never tell.