D9 Torque Converter?

HyperV6

Anyone know what a D9 torque converter was used in? Stall speed? Is it worth keeping or junk?

The converter is stamped with D9 on it.

Thanks, Craig

Sure it wasn't stamped D6? Never heard of a D9 being used in our cars.

This is going to sound crazy, but I too have a D9 convertor. It came with the GN so is likely a Buick part.

Any chance GM did anything strange with the stamping, such as having the letter and the number upside down from each other?

There is some yellow ink printing on it, but can no longer make out what it is.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Are you sure it isn't a D6? There is usually a line stamped under the number to denote it's orientation. Post a picture of it.

Picture:

GN_D9_0.JPG

RemoveBeforeFlight

Looking at the above low-res picture I was able to just make out the line above the 9, which makes it a 6. So GM did flip the number upside down from the letter (D). This makes it a D6 converter, which is a stock GN converter? Here is a high-res close up:

GN_D9_3a.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

D5 for a stock gn converter. Many better choices out there if you are willing to pony up some cash.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I guess I'll to look at mine with a magnify glass. I guess it could be a D6 since looks just like the picture above but I haven't seen any lines. What was a D6 used in?

Thanks, Craig

Well, maybe gm ran out of d5 and d6 is close. Are you both sure they are original?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I guess I'll to look at mine with a magnify glass. I guess it could be a D6 since looks just like the picture above but I haven't seen any lines. What was a D6 used in?

Thanks, Craig
Don't quote me but I think D6's originally came out of v8 cars with the 200r4, 700r4, or 4l60e and have a lower stall (~1300 - 1500 or so). However, it could have been restalled at some point. You won't know for sure until you see what your rpm's are at 0-1psi while standing on the brake.

Well, maybe gm ran out of d5 and d6 is close. Are you both sure they are original?

I can't say that that converter came in my car from the factory. It is a loose part that came with the car. I was more or less just wondering what it was. Tried a search years ago, but using the two character "D9" as a keyword doesn't work too well. :wtf:

RemoveBeforeFlight

almost every trans shop will install the wrong converter, on a rebuild.(on a turbo buick)
unless they really know what there doing ,
and so few know!
I have run into at least 6 cars with wrong converters, and all had a trans shop do a rebuild at some point.

GM doesn't paint their converters. Someone changed it. Only D5's came in the turbo cars

Then it is a replacement or re-man TQ. Can even see in the first photo it is painted black below the D9/D6 markings. With above that being painted a metal color. Thanks, I have a better idea of what it is (2-cents).

RemoveBeforeFlight