cz valve body and governor question

charlie

Recently picked up a cz core that has been utouched and have been reading alot of opinions about a br vs cz , i currently have a 87 regal running high tens it shifts around 5200 in leaving in drive , my question is would their be any benefit installing the cz valve body , governor which some people say they shift at 5600 , car has 6776 bb turbo ported irons comp cam flat tappet 3500 nl converter , just looking for some oponions who may have tried this thanks for the help

If you have enough spring and the engine is making 10 sec power you would likely show a benefit running the cz. If you're driving over your converter there will be little benefit

NO KZ or CZ valve body needed here and no neck breaking shifts ethier, my stock GN valve body with unmodified stock governor and my shift points are at 6,150 on each gear at WOT, and let me tell you the shifts happen quick and fast :), if your transmission guy knows what he is doing he can make it happen by simply making changes inside the valve body itself with springs and valves that are in it. ;)

If you have enough spring and the engine is making 10 sec power you would likely show a benefit running the cz. If you're driving over your converter there will be little benefit

Thanks for the info , My valve springs are fairly new so i'm going to try it out as far as making the trans shift at 6150 i think that would be out of my powerband , the car has been 10.89 at 124.00 with a 1.49 60 ft letting the transmission shift by itself ,. i just wanted some input on a cz valve body and governor combo over the brf. My current transmission has a ck shift kit with billet drum wide band ect over 150 passes and still working perfectly. Thanks again bison for your oponion.

NO KZ or CZ valve body needed here and no neck breaking shifts ethier, my stock GN valve body with unmodified stock governor and my shift points are at 6,150 on each gear at WOT, and let me tell you the shifts happen quick and fast :), if your transmission guy knows what he is doing he can make it happen by simply making changes inside the valve body itself with springs and valves that are in it. ;)

There are other downsides to the BR that most dont like when they have an engine that will make power over 6000rpm. You must have a very stout combo if your car responds well to 6150rpm shifts. Mid 9's or faster. The OP's original is about using a CZ and it should suit him well.

Thanks for the info , My valve springs are fairly new so i'm going to try it out as far as making the trans shift at 6150 i think that would be out of my powerband , the car has been 10.89 at 124.00 with a 1.49 60 ft letting the transmission shift by itself ,. i just wanted some input on a cz valve body and governor combo over the brf. My current transmission has a ck shift kit with billet drum wide band ect over 150 passes and still working perfectly. Thanks again bison for your oponion.

Id be sure your springs are what they are supposed to be. I see at least one car a month where the springs have been changed and are either wrong or not installed at the correct height. For a car going 124mph with a small cam you would most likely benefit with the trans shifting around 5500. You can easily swap the CK shift kit parts from the BR over to the CZ and maintain the shift quality as you had before.

Id be sure your springs are what they are supposed to be. I see at least one car a month where the springs have been changed and are either wrong or not installed at the correct height. For a car going 124mph with a small cam you would most likely benefit with the trans shifting around 5500. You can easily swap the CK shift kit parts from the BR over to the CZ and maintain the shift quality as you had before.

Thanks again for your input on this bison , changed valve body and governor over today transferring the line bias , and accumulator springs from the ck shift kit into the cz valve body and i am quite impressed with the shift points the car pulls very hard up to roughly 5600 , cant wait to see some track passes. Thanks again !

Just out of curiosity how efficient is that converter your running? Easy to get 6000 rpm shifts when the converter isn't real efficient....

Just out of curiosity how efficient is that converter your running? Easy to get 6000 rpm shifts when the converter isn't real efficient....

Dusty 9.5 3,500 stall with less than 5% slippage, trust me the car likes shifts above 6k, anything under and it feels like the motor is not forcing itself at all, forgot to mention, car has a solid roller with solid lifters in it. :)