crappy ride

Drew L

Gerry Attrick
I have a 27,xxx mile t-topped GN. I have ALL of the braces, have all the bushings and have replaced the shocks with KYB's. I'm very disappointed with the shake rattle and roll of this car. If I run over a manhole cover or the slightest bump the car sounds like it is coming apart. So my question is, to cure this, what is my next step?:confused:

Thats t tops for ya make sure the t top seals are good and see if your t tops are loose

I can't disagree with that so far..........................any other parts that will improve the ride like sway bars ect?

Drew L said:

I've seen KYBs actually tear out shock mounts. They are extremely stiff. For use on sheets of glass smooth roads, they're OK, anything less then that, and they're way too stuff, IMO.

IMO, Bilsteins are a million times better then the KYBs, or any other reasonably priced shock.

You also might get it up on a hoist, and make everything is tight down below.

When you said *bushings* did you use poly type body bushings?, or add the *missing* body bushing?. They can have alot to do with how a car feels, mounting the body more solidly to the frame will transfer more road noise into the car.

the "missing" bushings. I've heard about Bilstiens being so much better than the KYB's........................I'm just reluctant to admit it after spending the money for the KYB's............................................if you know what I mean. What about a sway bar?

Drew L said:
I've heard about Bilstiens being so much better than the KYB's........................I'm just reluctant to admit it after spending the money for the KYB's............................................if you know what I mean. What about a sway bar?

They are.
Comes a time to cut one's loses, maybe you can ebay them... :)

GN's already have front and rear sway bars. Not sure what you're implying with that comment.

In other words, would a thicker sway bar make an inprovement on ride quality? The rest of the suspension is all original.

Drew:
FWIW & IMHO:
Sorry to hear that all is not well with the car. I think that you would be much happier with Bilsteins rather than KYB, as mentioned above. Althouth I think that a bigger sway bar might help a little, I don't think that would be your next step. From what you are describing, I would think that something has loosened, also as previously mentioned, or something was just not correct from the factory. Shaking, rattling, or rolling after hitting a bump would almost sound like an early Ford, (bad ball joints, tie rods, steering gear maybe). If you are running all of the braces, including the rear seat brace, you just shouldn't have the problems/noises that you are describing. As previously mentioned, i would also inspect the underneath of the car if it were me. HTH

Yeah.....................I agree. I'm going to get the Bilsteins and "start over" I can't imagine some amiss underneith with such low miles but I could be wrong , wrong wrong. Let me describe an example. You know when we happen upon a manhole cover that is set 3/4 " below grade of the pavement and we drive over them? Instead of a simple thump thump I get a FLAM BLAM. It's unreal. Discouraging

FWIW & IMHO:
Drew: I think that might be the KYB's. I think that it is a safe bet that Bilsteins will improve things all the way around, but I think from there before buying anything new based on the premise that it must be better, I would start looking for individual problems such as underneath the car before i threw in the towel. My guess is that something is loose, such as one of the shock mounts, or something similiar. Also, I used to have the braces that run at an angle underneath the car, and the previously drilled hole that came on the frame out of the factory had been stripped when the previous owner mounted the braces, and it kept popping exactly 1 thread whenthe car hit a bump, or jarred it loose. Made a terible sound till I found out what the problem was. On a lighter note, I hope that you and your family are in good health and spirits.

I agree ... something else is going on.... my brother has a '84 t w/ t-tops and his car is pretty solid . It has front crossmember braces and rear seat braces, as well as boxed lower control arms and bilstein shocks. He still hasn't done all of the body mounts but his car doesn't make that much noise. HTH