Crank sensor damage

rb68rr

image.jpg i replaced the crank sensor in my car today. The car started and ran for about 10 minutes and then suddenly died. Pulled the crank sensor back out and saw where the ring had been rubbing up against it. In the picture that I posted you can see the wear on the crank sensor after 10 minutes of running. Is this enough damage to make the car stop running? It appears that the ring or fin is running through the gap in the crank sensor at a slight angle, making it touch on the left hand side of the gap.

It's enough to ruin it. You can turn the engine with a ratchet to be sure it's not contacting before running it.

What would be the easiest way to straighten up the fins that pass through the crank sensor? One of them appears to be not perpendicular to the gap in the crank sensor. There is no way to set the gap at .025 with it leaning over the way it is!

rb68rr said:
What would be the easiest way to straighten up the fins that pass through the crank sensor? One of them appears to be not perpendicular to the gap in the crank sensor. There is no way to set the gap at .025 with it leaning over the way it is!

Pliers

Ok, i straightened up the fin and put a new crank sensor in and I still have no spark!!! WTF??? GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!

It's in the one furtherest from the plug in! What is the other slot for anyway?

This is getting crazier by the day! I swapped out the ECM from my other car and it started right up! I turned the car off five or six times with it cranking back up perfectly every time! Then 10 to 15 minutes later it suddenly died!!! No spark again!!! I don't get it!!!:(

This is getting crazier by the day! I swapped out the ECM from my other car and it started right up! I turned the car off five or six times with it cranking back up perfectly every time! Then 10 to 15 minutes later it suddenly died!!! No spark again!!! I don't get it!!!:(

Sounds like the reluctor ring is still rubbing the crank sensor. You might want to have the reluctor ring replaced or buy a new balancer from TA Performance.

What made you decide to replace the crank sensor to begin with?

Were you having starting problems before replacing it?

But why did it start just because I changed the ECM???

I have no idea why that happened.

What i do know is there is a problem with the reluctor ring from what you have posted.

Until you get that issue fixed it will continue to cause starting problems.

I sent my balancer out and had the reluctor ring replaced on mine as the fins were bent a little....

I did the same thing a few years ago. A new billet reluctor ring was installed that doesn't have all the waves and distortions in it like the factory stock one did.

The car had been running perfectly for a long time. I drove it to town one day and came back home. Two hours later I went out to leave and it would not start! No spark. Swapped out the coil pack with a known good one with no effect! Thought it might be the crank sensor and removed the old one. It looked to be in really bad shape. Replaced it and the car still would not start! Still no spark! Then I swapped out the ECM and the car started right up! It ran for about 10-15 minutes and then suddenly died! I then took the new crank sensor out and noticed that groves were wore in the new sensor! Replaced that sensor and straightened the bent fins on the reluctor ring! Still no spark!!! Very confused !! Help!!!

A bad cam sensor will also cause a no spark issue. The ICM needs to see the cam sync before it will fire the plugs.

Check the ECM connectors, there may be corrosion on them. Which could explain why the ECM swap worked for a short period of time.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Check all the connections. I had an intermittent open circuit at the cam sensor signal wire from back probing that part of the harness over about 10 years time. I had to cut and re pin the wires. All was good after that. I've seen poor connections at the module cause no starts also. Make sure pins aren't bent.

I currently have the same issue,We all must been attacked by Alien Sensor Killer Ray Beam..heh..I'll Post what fixes my car,It starts, runs for bit n Die's,when it Die's it shuts off quick, restarting backfires some times,If left alone for 15 minutes,the Car will re-fire then Repeat. I'm told Ignition Module/Coil Pack/Crank trigger..I'm on XFI 2.0 so it's not the ECM, recorded code 16 which is: Wideband Fault. The Mystery Continues ...For Now...

Would a bad esc module cause this?? Anyone??

It won't cause a no start or kill the engine. The ESC (electronic spark control) module is only in place to report alleged detonation. Which at the most will retard the spark advance. It won't/can't kill the spark.

RemoveBeforeFlight