crank machining

turboadict

How far under can you grind a stock crank?

I have one that let go of a rod and put some scores into the journal. Not too deep but not sure if the journal will go down enough to take them out.

Has anyone ever had a crank repaired in the way of welding deep scratches and re-grinding?

The rest of the crank is original spec and in good shape except for the one rod journal.
would seem a shame to scrap it if it can still be made servicable.

Its not worth repairing. You can buy a good .010 under crank for around $250. If you were going to use it want it checked for cracks and straightness first. Ive never seen many cracks successfully welded on cranks. I know of one that failed in a stage 1 a few years back. It cracked right next to where it was welded. The only welding id do woul dbe the thrust if it needed it.

just mag it if no cracks then just grind it and run it the nicks/dents will just be extra pockets of oil

There are no visible cracks (wouldn't know for sure without testing tho), just scratches in the journal bearing surface.

I wouldn't normally consider it but for the fact that cranks here in the UK are a bit thin on the ground, there's probably less than ten turbo Buicks over here.

Would be nice to have a spare , but......... if I wasn't sure its do-able it probably wouldn't be worth the risk of potential mechanical disaster.